Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Zero Fail looking for photographers [0/2]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is photography a medium you use?
  Yes
  No
  OH JUST GIVE ME THE FRIGGEN GOLD!
View Results

Zero Fail

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:51 pm
Alright, I see a lot of people mentoring for different types of drawing, or painting. I feel like I might be a bit out of place with photography as my medium of choice, but if there is anybody else looking for some assistance in photography I'll try to help you out.

Experiences outside of schooling:
I have experience with technical work (in the wet lab, and digital darkroom) and can help you with issues regarding color casts, contrast, F stops, shutter speeds, and noise. Compositionaly I can assist you with cropping, formatting, and generally what goes where.

My background is in studio photography, photo journalism, black and white, color, digital, and traditional. I do have a bit of a problem with technique in retouching, and traditional color lab work. I've been doing work in artistic photography for about 14 years, starting with small photography contests when I was a kid.

Education background:
Education wise I went to college as a photography major and dropped out after completing all of the needed photography and art courses and currently work as a photographer possibly starting a business as a studio photographer.

Hours:
I should be on fairly often (late at night EST, big chunk of Wednesdays, and Fridays).

I'm willing to help anybody, and will try very hard to help you all. Since (I'm guessing) there aren't so many photographers in this guild I do not have strict guidelines about who I will mentor.

Number of openings:
I will have two positions available for now, and if I can handle that and people are interested I will open more spots.

Requirements:
The minimum equipment requirements would be a DSLR camera (digital SLR/single lens reflex) preferably with manual options or a scanner and manual traditional camera (film). You can scan your negatives (or slides) or prints that you have made. The genre of photography people are interested in will determine what assignments there will be, and how often.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns I'll definitely be able to answer them. This is my first time doing this, so some people might know more about how to mentor, or what they would like to get out of this more so than what I would know.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:40 pm
I love to take pictures, and that would be cool if you could help me with my skills on photography XD  

26NinjaFishy26

The Savage Beauty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:03 am
Ahhh, I wish I had a DSLR. Unfortunately, it's out of my price range at the moment. When I bought my current camera, I was an ignorant teenager and I figured that any black camera that looked more professional than your run-of-the-mill point-and-shoot was a digital SLR. As a result, I'm stuck with a shitty Sony DSC-H5, so I don't really qualify.

I do wish you luck though! There really is a lack of photography help on this forum, so I admire you for offering your services.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:56 pm
I really do apologize for such a long wait to start this whole thing. I requested this thread to be locked/deleted a long time ago (Feb)...I guess it wasn't locked. I'll PM you both in case you don't get the chance to read this.

My personal life has gone super crazy sooo...yeaaaa...

I could potentially change this to be something a little different but I'll cross that road when I get to it.  

Zero Fail

Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff