Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
I'm such a generous necrophiliac. =D (WIP)..

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Valgaror

Ruthless Survivor

13,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:37 pm
Hey, I'm Valg, and just joined but haven't posted in the introductions thread yet, mainly because I am not good at talking about myself, haha. XD Probably end up copying and pasting some other thing I've written about myself from some other site, or something...

Anyway, this is what I'm working on right now. Sorry for any potential page-stretching, my monitor is kind of huge. XD I can resize it if necessary.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Basic idea is.. my blatant-self-insert Blood Pact character and a captured female Commissar (I might end up wearing her hat, haven't decided yet XD) with the caption "Trust me, for what I'm going to do to you, both of us are going to prefer you dead."

What a nice guy. XD

Anyway, let's see.. I know her arm's too long and probably at the wrong angle, is supposed to be tied behind her, but I think I made it look more like it's going straight down rather than leaning forward the same as her torso. And I can't tell if I made my legs too short, or if it just looks that way because there isn't pants or armor there yet. XD It looked in proportion before I put the armor on the top half, so... hmmm...
..And yes, she's going to have clothes, too. XD Something similar to this!

Also, expressions. I hope I got those pretty convincingly well. I'm supposed to be sadistic / mocking.. and she's supposed to be a combination of rage, disgust, pain, maybe a bit of fear. Sort of like "If I weren't tied up and about to die, I would tear you apart, you heretical abomination."

Just a big pile of happy for my first post in the guild, isn't it. XD
Anyway, I'd appreciate any critique on anatomy or anything else, suggestions to fix, redlines (or lines of some other color since I sketch in red, blah blah) anything. =] Danke!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:00 pm
This isn't really a style/genre that I know so much about, but I think you're on the right track.

A few things related to the anatomy that I see is that the girl's arm looks a bit broken already. I think you were just trying to draw her tied up, so I'd suggest making the angle of her arm closer to a 90 degree angle than what you have. There may also be an issue with her other arm disappearing so quickly behind her back. You may want to draw slightly more of it before hiding it.

Similarly, looking at the man's anatomy, I think his torso may be too long. I also think he should be squatting just a little lower. His head looks a bit small for his body, too, but that may just be my imagination.

As far as the expressions go, I don't see any problems. The details are nice too...

Good luck with the finished version!  

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100

Deitsae

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:09 pm
Hi there Valg!

This'll be my first post here too (I've been stalking this guild since I joined, but haven't had the time to really input...) smile . I really like your work so far and I think you've got something going here, so I'm going to try my best to be helpful.

So, first of all, here's my sloppy visual aid:
VISUAL AID

and if you can't read anything that's OK, I'll be repeating myself and then some

So,about the LEGS on the male character. A rule of thumb I learned is that the legs from the thigh tot he heel on one ideal version of a human being should generally be as long as it is from the top of the head to the thighs. so basically the legs are 1/2 the human height. Pretty straight forward, but as a warning: that's just one ideal rule, you can definitely find what looks right and works for you, and you'll definitely find people with other opinions on this matter. I find this rule works best for more super hero-y types though biggrin .

one possibility on why legs are looking so small is that they are in fact TOO THIN, especially on the calves. Try beefing them up a bit and see if that helps you (I could be wrong).

About the female character's pose. There's just something generally wrong there, and I'm not 100% sure how to help you. I don't think there's a way she could hold that kind of upright position with her feet tucked neatly away like that. I think we would see the calves and feet to some extent...

User Image

Try getting in the position yourself for reference, or having a friend do so.

If you have any questions please ask! I hope I was helpful. Your drawing skills are really quite good, and I love, love your characters and I think your expressions are spot on biggrin . Especially the guy, he looks so badass!  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:30 am
Ahh awesome, thanks guys. =D I.. went ahead and did lines on myself (while still completely ignoring her, haahh..) but it looks like the anatomy is pretty much alright, leg length and all, so I'm pretty happy with that part.

EEZ SKETCHY.
I like the sketchy.. hell, after finishing the lineart and cleaning up the sketch, I happened to un-view the line layer, and.. almost thought "Hey, sketchy layer is better by itself, I should just keep that." But nahh, I'll just have it like that.
And it looks like I am going to be keeping her hat, after all. |D

And yup, she's going to be tied up. I think I thought I was making her feet tied as well, but that does make more sense, being able to see part of her lower legs.. better balance. I was kind of worried that having her able to hold herself up like that was unrealistic. XD

Expression good? Awesome. XD Think she looks disgusted enough by my existence? whee

Time to stop putting off drawing her hair and uniform..

Valgaror

Ruthless Survivor

13,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items