Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply [Rant and Rave]_____GLBT, Life-Topics, Politics, Rants
[personal/rant] problem with someone i thought was a friend.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

visitors
  +1
View Results

Jasqueen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:25 am
    so, right now i'm in first-year university. i started during the fall and ever since school begun, i try my hardest to still stay in contact with my close, tight-knit group of high school buddies. and so far, it's been a success (we've met a couple of times, hung out and stuff, and it was all good). except for this one friend of ours (let's call her jane -not her real name btw). the thing is, with the rest of my high school friends (we're all friends with each other btw), i've been able to hang out and stay in touch with, do not go to the same university as me, but jane, does. and even though she goes to the same place as me, we're further apart than ever now.

when i had arranged a little reunion for us high school buddies to meet up and chill, i had asked jane on msn if she was free for that particular day to hang out with us. her response was, "oh, i don't wanna have a social life right now until midterms are over with." so as a close friend of hers, i understood how important school was right now and told her that it was okay and that we could all meet with her another time. here's what sorta started everything, the day after i had that reunion i organized...i log onto my facebook account and i see that jane has uploaded some photos. i check them out and see that its pictures of her at a party, getting drunk with a bunch of random university folks that she just met and hardly knows. wait a minute...i thought you said you didn't "wanna have a social life right now until midterms are over with". right...so you make up some shitty excuse about how you have no time for fun and games. but miraculously you forget about that "promise" you made and end up getting smashed with a bunch of random people you just met instead of spending some quality time with people that are apparently your "best friends" that you haven't seen in a while. right...

and what bugs me most, is that this wasn't even ON THE SAME DAY. so, she could've easily gone to both, but no. and i know for a fact she's trying to separate herself from her high school friends, because during orientation week, the students all went to a club (organized by the school) and she basically ditched me and this other high school friend of ours to meet new people. plus, i sometimes try to meet up with her on campus and it never happens. and when i ask her why we never meet, she says it's 'cause we're in different programs so it's hard. but no, most of her new "friends" she hangs out with are actually all in my program, so wtf...lame a** excuse.

i don't know, i thought we were her "best friends". because in her facebook notes and photos, she would always refer to us as her "best friends". *well, some "best friend" she turned out to be*
    she's basically the type of person who would rather have hundreds of acquaintances than only a few close friends. which is true because when she meets strangers, she puts on this fake, freakishly nice face of hers, but when she's with us (people who actually know her well), she can be an absolute b***h sometimes for no reason. she takes us for granted, it's like we're only of use to her when she's bored or has no one else to cling to. she assumes that just 'cause you're in post-secondary now, it automatically gives you the privilege to ditch your old high school friends...when it doesn't. my high school friends are my friends for life and i actually think this time apart from my other friends has actually made us closer than ever because now we all value our friendship and the time we spend with each other much more. but i guess that's not the case for her.

sorry that was soo long, but i just wanted to get that out. what do you guys think i should do? i actually haven't been able to talk to her about this because she's selfish, stubborn and close-minded as hell (so she'll never admit she's at fault). i do have one friend in the group who's known her since elementary (longer than me) so she's aware of jane's behaviour as well, but she says she's used to it though. so, basically all my other friends are still friends with her, so for this reason...i still wanna be friends too (just to keep the group together), but i don't know if it's worth it. help, please? sad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:50 am
First of all, that sucks, and kudos to you for trying to keep in touch with your friends after high school, because I have lost touch with so many of my friend who have graduated, and it's really disheartening.

I think that if being friends with her is making you feel bad, maybe it's not worth it, and you should just leave her alone and concentrate on staying in touch with the friends that are making the effort and actually seem interested. You said that she would rather have acquaintances than best friends, so maybe that's as close as you'll be--just acquaintances. Stay in contact, but don't push Jane into all these meet-ups if she doesn't want to go, because it'll only annoy her and frustrate you.

Sorry that I can't really help, but I really hope that everything works out in the end.  

Sieffre

Wheezing Genius

7,450 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100

MooMooJuice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:40 pm
Meh. Dump her.
It's not like she's tying you to your other friends or something. Don't feel like you have to be friend's with friends friends.
She's obviously trying to avoid you, so take a hint and let her do what she wants. *shrugs* :/
Some things will change no matter how much you don't want them to. So don't waste your energy on her and just focus on the friends who want to stay friends with you too.  
[Rant and Rave]_____GLBT, Life-Topics, Politics, Rants

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games