Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
"Terrifying Deep-Fried Gasping Fish Video"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:57 pm
I can't bring myself to watch this video. The picture and description are bothersome enough for me. But I thought it might be worth posting. If you eat fish (or any animal for that matter) and are trying to kick the habit, this just might help you go veg.

Here's the blurb that I found with it:

"This video of a deep-fried yet still-gasping fish at a restaurant located in, we think, China is truly one of the most unsettling things we've seen. Thanks to its origins on the oft-playful Buzzfeed, we assumed this might have been a gag, that the joke was that this writhing creature was an animatronic robot or something equally not-real. But it's real. We post this not to gross you out (although it most assuredly will), but because this is horror. This is the stuff of nightmares, on a plate. This sort of thing goes on in the real world, behind closed doors or in front of people with video cameras, and whatever your stance on the ethics of carnivorousness, you've got to admit that the indifference to suffering shown here is staggering."
http://www.eatmedaily.com/2009/11/terrifying-deep-fried-gasping-fish-video/?so=f-s

Click the link if you want to see a still picture, watch the video, or read the comments posted. The comments range from things like "All meat eaters contribute to this sort of suffering, they just don't usually see it" to things like, "So what? It's just a fish. I kill them all the time."  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:09 pm
oh.my.gawd.

that was brutal.

i was forced to watch an episode of bizarre foods (or that other one, I can't keep up with the weird food shows) once where that guy was munching on a live lobster. like, they just crack it open and the poor thing is bent over itself in pain while they're digging into it.

but man, those asian countries are something else. I don't know if it's true or not, but I've always heard that many asian countries prefer that their "food" go through alot of pain before they eat it, because pain makes it more flavorful.

Anyway, that video was disgusting.

moonshyne

Aged Gaian

7,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Citizen 200

ikeywii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:28 pm
Nothing will ever make me watch that video.
Although I do actually remember a time before I went vegetarian when I was watching worlds funniest home videos or something. The life fish on a platter... cooked... about to be cut open painfully... Now that I can recall that I feel like wanting to cry....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:18 am
I think it's important for some people to watch these videos. It's a very vivid reminder of why they quit eating animals in the first place. Obviously, not everyone needs to see it, but there are a few people out there that sometimes need something like this to keep them going.

I have a friend who went vegan after I sent her several videos and articles regarding the struggle of dairy cows and laying hens. she was so disgusted that she cut out all dairy cold turkey, and was going strong for several months until one day she got a craving for mac & cheese. I think if she had watched one of those videos rather than caving in to her craving, it would have strengthened her resolve, and reminded her of why she went vegan in the first place.

moonshyne

Aged Gaian

7,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Citizen 200

Retro_girl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:42 am
that is horrendous and undignified. the people who commented on that website that said it happens all the time between animals ... well all i can say to them is animals don't DEEP FRY other animals and then poke them. they get on with it. but we have the choice and .. eugh. it's so sad sad  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:33 am
I don't think I can watch that... I can't believe how cruel human beings can be sometimes! I'm almost ashamed to be one.

"Fish are smart. Oxford University scientist Dr. Theresa Burt de Perera recently discovered that fish learn even faster than dogs. Fish learn from each other, have long-term memories, and can recognize one another. They gather information by eavesdropping, and some species even use tools, which, until recently, was thought to be a uniquely human trait. Like the dogs and cats with whom we share our homes, they also like to play, investigate new things, and hang out with friends." (From here.)

I don't see how anyone could eat such smart and sweet creatures...  

Sylphide Le Papillion

Fashionable Vampire

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items