Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
New Recommended Reading List Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

a-little-piggy

6,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:48 am
Hello all! Who would you say are the most respected authors? I really want to buy some books but I'm not sure where to begin. sad

I'm looking into getting "Paganism: an introduction to earth-centered religions. Also, I'd like to get some books by Scott Cunningham.

I'm more into solitary work because I live in the bible belt and the nearest coven is over an hours drive up a mountain... so yeah. That sucks. I'm super interested in healing magic. Like, all natural ways to heal the body and spirit through meditation and using the elements. Also, I'd like to read about the Gods and Goddesses.

thank you <3  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:06 pm
TeaDidikai

Fiction:
The Dresden Files
There are some very subtle concepts present within the books- and they're great reads.

I absolutely adore the Dresden Files. I completely agree with you!  

pokeybear100

7,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

Ray Relo Nikiv

Dramatic Genius

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:38 pm
here is a growing series on magic with Nicholas Flammel as on of the characters it has a lot of the gods and goddesses through out the world and it is a very good read

The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott

The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel) by Michael Scott

The Sorceress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel) by Michael Scott

and on May 25, 2010 the next book

The Necromancer (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel) by Michael Scott

i would recommend these only on the bases of them being a great read and very well written  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:06 am
Dunno how well this meshes with most peoples' paths, but I found these helpful to my workings and visualizations:

The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot - A layperson's guide to holograph theory and its applications in a spiritual context, by way of anecdote.

And

The Dancing Wu Li Masters: An Overview of the New Physics by Gary Zukav - Though somewhat dated, it provides an excellent look at quantum physics, without having to slog through complex formulae to get there.  

Ultramarine Violet

Seeky

Inquisitive Seeker

14,550 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:51 pm
Jeanne and Spider Robinson for fiction. See the Callahan's series, Stardance trilogy, and Lifehouse trilogy. Jeanne's a Soto Buddhist, and Spider's...a good writer. And there's truth in their work.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:02 am
The Queen of Hell by Mark Smith
One: Grimoire of the Golden Toad by Andrew Chumbley
The Pillars of Tubal Cain by Nigel Jackson
The Horn of Evenwood by Robin Artisson
The Resurrection of the Meadow by Robin Artisson.

And, soon to come, with personal essays by yours truly! Hoofprints in the Wildwood a devotional anthology to that horned spirit of sorcery, death, hunting and life. By various authors.  

Cunning Witch Angus

Astrox

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:42 pm
A blog...
Beyond The Wand  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:15 pm
Witching Culture: Folklore and Neo-Paganism in America by Sabina Magliocco. Academic book, University of Pennsylvania Press, 2004.
A good read for those of you who are sensitive about the appropriate use of the term "Wicca," though it does not directly address that issue. I used it heavily in one of my theses.

The Study of Witchcraft by Deborah Lipp. A Gardnerian, includes discussion on the appropriation of the term "Wicca" but includes a ton of other stuff. Academically oriented with a smaller practical focus.  

aoijea23487

Satyr Prince

Tipsy Reveler

6,950 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:53 pm
Illiezeulette
Witching Culture: Folklore and Neo-Paganism in America by Sabina Magliocco. Academic book, University of Pennsylvania Press, 2004.
A good read for those of you who are sensitive about the appropriate use of the term "Wicca," though it does not directly address that issue. I used it heavily in one of my theses.
I <3 Magliocco so much. I'm currently going through her academic papers on the Strega in America. (I also find it hilarious how Grimassi tries to talk trash about her on his page because she called him out on his BS. /tangent)  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:22 pm
Strega Mama
Illiezeulette
I <3 Magliocco so much. I'm currently going through her academic papers on the Strega in America. (I also find it hilarious how Grimassi tries to talk trash about her on his page because she called him out on his BS. /tangent)

There are a few points that worry me; I fear that she is too much of an insider to distance herself enough from her work. For example, she attempts to totally and forcibly redefine academic ethnography as an act of magic. I mean, it's fine if that's her opinion, but I'm sure some academics do NOT want to be randomly labeled something they would take issue with. She also claims that she MUST experience ecstasy in ritual for herself in order to grasp its importance... not sure exactly why you can't just interview a bunch of Pagans and say, "ecstasy in ritual is important to many Neo-Pagan rituals, and here's why" without revealing anything oathbound or personal.

Other than that, a lot of her information is really useful.  

aoijea23487

Satyr Prince

Tipsy Reveler

6,950 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:40 am
Illiezeulette

There are a few points that worry me; I fear that she is too much of an insider to distance herself enough from her work. For example, she attempts to totally and forcibly redefine academic ethnography as an act of magic. I mean, it's fine if that's her opinion, but I'm sure some academics do NOT want to be randomly labeled something they would take issue with. She also claims that she MUST experience ecstasy in ritual for herself in order to grasp its importance... not sure exactly why you can't just interview a bunch of Pagans and say, "ecstasy in ritual is important to many Neo-Pagan rituals, and here's why" without revealing anything oathbound or personal.

That's very interesting, I had not realized she was doing that, i might have to look more into that if i get some free time  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:22 am
Strega Mama
Illiezeulette

That's very interesting, I had not realized she was doing that, i might have to look more into that if i get some free time

It's all over the introduction in Witching Culture.

Edit: I'll cite a quote after I'm done wrapping up my thesis, which I am sending in today. (:  

aoijea23487

Zoe Cakes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:09 pm
I am reading "A Witch Cult in Western Europe" by Margeret Murray,

Its a good read so far, but do any of you recommend any works that are less dated?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff