Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
• Critique Lovely's art •

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pie?
  Pie!
  Pie....? = . ='''
  PIE : D
  Pickle!! o ^ o
View Results

ll-LovelyInsanity-ll

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:52 pm

Hello there. ^ - ^
I finished this picture today and would much like a critique of it.

Mr. Boo

Danke. x3
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:01 am

Very cute! Love the design. For some reason I like maimed eyes. sweatdrop

The shading did turn out very good, but I encourage you to consider your light source even more. Right now it seems to be coming from someplace top left (rather distantly), but there is no shadow cast onto the rope behind his head and the shadow under his body seems to indicate he's being lit from directly above.

It's really tricky, but think about that diagram you've seen of shading on a ball a million times. There's the highlight and the cast shadow, and so on. You've got to try and think of the objects you're drawing like that; geometric shapes being hit by light in 3d space. So that means the source and intensity of the light is the most important thing to decide. You can have multiple sources, but I recommend for practice's sake that you choose one to start with and stick to it consistently. Then think about each small part of the drawing and how it would look when the light hits it from that angle.

You did a good job but there is always room for improvement, and getting a hang of light will make all of your art much stronger.

Badeye

Shirtless Friend

ll-LovelyInsanity-ll

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:43 pm

Thank you very much for the advise. I will definatly remeber that for my future pictures. I've always been lazy with properly doing the light and shadows, so if I want to improve I should work a little harder in that area. xD

Again Thank you very much. ^ ^
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:02 pm

In future, you should do preliminary realistic sketches of things before you stylize.
In other words, sketch real bunnies before you draw cartoon bunnies; it makes the whole thing more believable and 3 dimensional.
The sketch doesn't look like you know what an actual rabbit looks like, just a faint idea.
That having been said, it's not bad, just in need of work.

The Titanium Spork

ll-LovelyInsanity-ll

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:25 pm

Thankyou for the tip! I've never thought of doing that. ^^

New art:

Claire

This is the main character for a comic I am creating. If I can get it finished I'm hoping to post it here on gaia. Any suggestions, critiques, or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games