Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Perfume/Animals

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would You Still Use This Perfume Despite That Odd Label?
  Yes
  No
View Results

reptileluver101

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:22 pm
So, last night I was getting ready to go to a dance. I sprayed myself with some perfume when i noticed something on the label it said "Finished Product Not Tested On Animals." I got kind of paranoid after this. Does this mean that the product was tested on animals before it was finished? I'm not really happy about it. Im also thinking they may have some sort of animal products in it, so im going through my lists of different animal/animal derived things right now xD  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:55 pm
That is something I have wondered about as well. I believe that label means that they do not test on animals, but the ingredients they use might have been tested on animals before they bought them. That's just my guess though. You might want to call or write to the company to find out more.  

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

reptileluver101

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:54 am
I'd thought about that. But it really bugs me. Can't they just clearly label things like that, for example(if that is the case) why can't they just say ingredients in this product may have been tested on animals before purchased?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:55 pm
because most of those people don't care enough, or don't think that people will care as much as say, you do.  

Suicidal Watercolors

reptileluver101

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:20 pm
Suicidal Watercolors
because most of those people don't care enough, or don't think that people will care as much as say, you do.

thank you. I think they might also be concerned about sales now that i think about it. More animal rights oriented people/vegetarians would probably not buy these products,especially if it is very clearly labeled. Less mistake sales,less sales in general, I bet.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:00 pm
I'd shoot the company an e-mail, and just wouldn't buy any more of the perfume until I got a clear answer from them.
But no reason to toss the rest of your perfume.
If you find that the ingredients were tested on animals and it bothers you, just give it away to a friend and don't buy it again.
'w'  

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Sylphide Le Papillion

Fashionable Vampire

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:13 am
That has been bothering me as well... I also hate it when they lie about not animal testing, like Tresemme does.

The Leaping Bunny shopping guide only lists actual cruelty free brands. I hope that helps you with future purchases. ^ ^ I used CaringConsumer before I found out that some brands on there were only about 50% cruelty free. I guess 50% is better then nothing though... Also, I believe most things on Leaping Bunny don't contain animal products.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:20 am
my philosophy teacher told me (when we was talking about animal ethics)
that unless it states "under no point was the final product or any of its ingredients tested on animals" it most likely was tested on animals.
they can take the acids and rub them on a bunnys eyes, then put it on the bottle and say it wasnt tested on animals because technically the final product wasnt tested just the ingredients.  

The REAL easter bunnuh

6,150 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Junior 100

nautilus96

2,100 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Junior Trader 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:50 am
reptileluver101
So, last night I was getting ready to go to a dance. I sprayed myself with some perfume when i noticed something on the label it said "Finished Product Not Tested On Animals." I got kind of paranoid after this. Does this mean that the product was tested on animals before it was finished? I'm not really happy about it. Im also thinking they may have some sort of animal products in it, so im going through my lists of different animal/animal derived things right now xD

Don't be paranoid! (lol) Most products aren't tested on animals unless they're designed for animals. The only things in perfume are usually alcohol and the flower that scents the perfume, although some expensive brands I hear do have skunk stuff to enhance the scent (no joke!). There should be a list of ingredients on the bottle, if you're worried. I don't use perfume really, so I don't know a lot about what's in it.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:06 pm
Nautilus96

Don't be paranoid! (lol) Most products aren't tested on animals unless they're designed for animals. The only things in perfume are usually alcohol and the flower that scents the perfume, although some expensive brands I hear do have skunk stuff to enhance the scent (no joke!).

Actually most things are tested on animals. That is why it is so important to read the label and make sure what you're buying wasn't tested on them.

Companies test perfume, soap, shampoo, oven cleaner, laundry detergent, and more on animals. And when they test things like soap and shampoo on animals, that doesn't mean they just wash the animal and see how its hair looks after. It means they force the product into the animal's eyes or down his throat. That lets them know if the product is toxic, if it irritates the eyes, etc.

Now you might think that is a necessary evil to make sure humans have safe products. But aside from being cruel, animals don't always respond to things the same way humans do, so animal testing can be misleading. And companies will often continue the animal testing even after they have declared the product safe and put it on the shelves.

Here is some more info on that: http://www.hsus.org/animals_in_research/animal_testing/

Nautilus96
There should be a list of ingredients on the bottle, if you're worried. I don't use perfume really, so I don't know a lot about what's in it.

Scents are generally considered company secrets. So many ingredients will simply say "fragrances," and that could mean anything. And that makes it really difficult to know whether products have animal ingredients or harmful chemicals.  

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces