Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
nomki-e's sketches

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

naayna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:53 am

I see most people have put a little about themselves... so I guess I will too...

I'm a seventeen-year-old first year engineering student. I've been drawing for as long as I remember, but I started drawing anime when I was about thirteen. I've taken art in highschool, but that's about it.

Of course I'd like to have critique on my work (that's why I'm here!) - For the sketches, so it's unlikely that I'll go and change them, but I will definitely keep suggestions in mind for the next one. However, please feel free to tear apart and stomp all over the WIPs. It's good for me.

Thank you guys so much in advance, I'll try to keep this post relatively updated.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:56 am

Oct 23:

◦ - CG WIP
● - Sketch

naayna

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Wow, I love your sketch lines. You have a nice dynamic with them. And a nice relaxed was of positioning people =) I think you could benefit from better structuring/anatomy. In your Wip, the girls torso is too long and her (my view) left arm is very small , even with foreshortening it is going to stick out further from the elbow. If you want to keep that length of the torso you need to lengthen the arms and make the head a bit larger.

Your sketches have pretty good structuring for the most part, though in the second sketch her shoulder comes out a bit far and her forearm tapers very quickly. In your third sketch her (my view) right arm is a bit too long, the elbow should be about level with the top of her head. Her foot is position in such a manner that if you follow the contour of the leg to the foot, it would create a bendy line - it can work if you change the position of where the foot is pointing, or the position of the knee, whatever you are going for.

When you are sketching, before diving into rendering try mapping out the joints, make sure everything is symetrical as you want it to be. You already have a good knowledge of the body, so it's all about polishing it out.

I hope I'm not too blunt but I guess I try to be concise. You have really great stuff and I hope to see more!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:48 pm

Thank you very much. You weren't too blunt at all, everything you said was valid and helpful. I will keep your opinions in mind ^^;; Thanks again!

naayna

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:30 pm

The way arms join up is rather awkward. Remember, your pecs flow into your arm, so the front line of the armpit should point towards the shoulder, as opposed to inwards from the arm. (I hope that made sense)
Also, in several of the sketches, you have a tendency to make people's shoulders too wide.
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games