Reply Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild
ReCasting

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:10 pm
Okay, I was planning on doing a recasting "Khan" thread to go with the rumors about his return, but how about we just recast the minor roles, from any series (who says we can't have Q or Gary Mitchell?).

I'll post my picks later. After I remind myself not every part can be played by Matt Frewer.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:14 pm
Well, recasting Q would be alright if they did a TNG or VOY reboot but I'm not sure about Khan. If they put if him back there, I'd go nuts! Do you know if they'll actually address an issue in the sequel?  

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Rainbow-potato
Crew

Hygienic Fairy

6,950 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:46 am
I think Khan's story is good enough with the TOS episode and the movie about him. Personally I think in the next movie they need to have more Chapel, cause she's awesome. XD

And if they revise a character from the TOS series, I hope it's someone random that no one would expect, like that chick from The Paradise Syndrome - What's her name? Miramane I think. Cause then Jim could be a Happy Indian all over again. XD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:47 am
Rainbow-potato
I think Khan's story is good enough with the TOS episode and the movie about him. Personally I think in the next movie they need to have more Chapel, cause she's awesome. XD

And if they revise a character from the TOS series, I hope it's someone random that no one would expect, like that chick from The Paradise Syndrome - What's her name? Miramane I think. Cause then Jim could be a Happy Indian all over again. XD

Yeah if they were to put Janice Raid, she would only have a few short apperances and then be done. I don't think she would be a big part to the story  

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Rainbow-potato
Crew

Hygienic Fairy

6,950 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:35 am
xXSuperWhateverXx
Rainbow-potato

Yeah if they were to put Janice Raid, she would only have a few short apperances and then be done. I don't think she would be a big part to the story

Yeah, ok, I hope they put Klingons in the sequel as well, or are they not going to have Klingons because of the alternate time period thing?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:47 pm
xXSuperWhateverXx
Well, recasting Q would be alright if they did a TNG or VOY reboot but I'm not sure about Khan. If they put if him back there, I'd go nuts! Do you know if they'll actually address an issue in the sequel?

They shouldn't do any more reboots. Still, actors get old.

But for some reason, I want an Older actor for Q if he is to be recast. I'd like to see Matt Frewer (Next Generation Fans might remember him as the time hopping thief from A Matter of Time). Work the age into his character, because it kinda is too late to do that for DeLancie. Picard can age well, but Riker cannot. And that's the thing, sometimes older works. Sure did for Star Trek II IV and VI (for some reason not V, and it's been too long since I've seen three). Frewer could keep it up with the Q character for a while.

The problem with Recasting is, and this is where the JJ Abrams production got it right all around (not to sound like I didnt like the movie-I give it my full endorsement despite my problems with it). They didn't find people to imitate the original actors, they didn't try to capture any likeness.

They gave the people the characters, and really allowed them to be the characters. Not recreate them, nor emulate them. it was the character as originally concieved, any differences were purely situational. Or at least there was an attempt.

Simon Pegg was the essence of Scotty, but only looked vaguely the part. Who cares? It wasn't Pegg in a Scottish accent, it was Scotty.

Who could do that with Data? Picard? Khan?

Even more important, who could John Cusack play?  

Matt Pniewski

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:54 pm
Matt Pniewski
xXSuperWhateverXx

They shouldn't do any more reboots. Still, actors get old.

But for some reason, I want an Older actor for Q if he is to be recast. I'd like to see Matt Frewer (Next Generation Fans might remember him as the time hopping thief from A Matter of Time). Work the age into his character, because it kinda is too late to do that for DeLancie. Picard can age well, but Riker cannot. And that's the thing, sometimes older works. Sure did for Star Trek II IV and VI (for some reason not V, and it's been too long since I've seen three). Frewer could keep it up with the Q character for a while.

The problem with Recasting is, and this is where the JJ Abrams production got it right all around (not to sound like I didnt like the movie-I give it my full endorsement despite my problems with it). They didn't find people to imitate the original actors, they didn't try to capture any likeness.

They gave the people the characters, and really allowed them to be the characters. Not recreate them, nor emulate them. it was the character as originally concieved, any differences were purely situational. Or at least there was an attempt.

Simon Pegg was the essence of Scotty, but only looked vaguely the part. Who cares? It wasn't Pegg in a Scottish accent, it was Scotty.

Who could do that with Data? Picard? Khan?

Even more important, who could John Cusack play?

I could imagine Q in th sequel, just to make TOS and TNG fans say "What the-?"

I honestly thought that they all did a pretty good job. Since this is a reboot they shouldn't have to imitate them, just keep the essence and spirit of the characters.

I read somewhere that Chris Pine watched TOS to study Kirk's character but stopped after he felt like he had to make an imitation of him. Especially with the speech pattern Kirk has.

I also want a VOY reboot with Rachelle MacAdams as Seven of Nine. I swear she looks just like her!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:36 pm
Rainbow-potato

I know! They didn't even show her in STAR TREK XI.
They just mention her once.  

Lumanny the Space Jew

Blessed Poster

Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas