Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Some art! Needs critques please! Nigh

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

FrozenVendetta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:15 pm

Some stuff I've drawn in the past year...

I have had art in sixth, and eigth to now. This is my first year in advanced art, and I've been kinda dabbling in different styles, I really like manga if you couldn't tell after looking at these.

Any crits are appreciated!

XXX

And a sketch I drew off of a picture.
X

The scanner as usual, screwed up the shading, there's alot more to it than what you can see.

Edit:: In the first two, I used Jasc Paint Shop Pro (I don't remember what version) with a mouse...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:52 pm

I'm going to give you a critique since I am bored. Drawing, I utterly fail at so don't ask me about that. I'm also new to this guild so you should wait for someone else's critique before you drastically change your style. ^_^

First- it will be helpful to know what program you used to color these... at least for other people.

Give shading a try. The best time to suck is when you first start out you know. Any piece of art can take the next step with the effective use of dark and light. I am guessing that on XXX white part is the shiny reflection thing. The hair needs shading too. Other than the basic "practice your anatomy" learning to shade the anatomy is also helpful. This SSS is one of my first paintings. I made the light direction extremely obvious (well i think @.@). Try that for starters.

BAD ADVICE WARNING----{

I'd say the best thing for you to do is to bust out a coloring book. Don't worry about coloring your sketches yet. Do as many sketches as you can from photos like you did on that last one. I think you can see where you are having trouble at. When you get sick of that use your coloring book. There are many places where you can get lineart to practice on. Just make sure you don't steal or copy ^_^ Also, check out this link!

}----BAD ADVICE OVER

I don't think I really know enough to help yet, but I like to think I am useful. ^_T

lalamariana

3,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100

Sazarac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:57 am

I agree with lalamariana, my first question is what are you working with in the first two pieces. Can't very well critique something if we don't have some clues as to how it was done. The pencil piece of the woman's face shows promise. I assume you mean by "a sketch you drew off of picture," is that you used a photo for reference?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:51 pm

Your first two (anime-styled) images need quite a bit of work. It looks like it was done a bit quickly on Photoshop or another similar graphics program. I'm guessing you were using a mouse and don't have a scanner?

When learning how to draw, I actually don't really recommend working on the computer. Not unless you have a tablet and a looooot of patience. I feel that it's just harder to learn and harder to get good at.

Comparatively, I think your paper and pencil work shows a lot more promise. Though the anatomy does need work, I think your hand is steadier by far and you have a lot more control over what you're drawing. Does that make any sense?

Anyhow... if you can, try drawing from more photographs or, if possible, draw from life. It may not sound interesting, but drawing random objects in your room can help too. smile Y'never know when it'll become a work of art, as they say... Don't worry about your own style or trying to draw in a stylized manner at this stage. That'll come with time.

Hope this helps.. any questions, feel free to ask. smile

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers