Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
My Newest Art (Critiques?)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yvienna

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:37 pm

Here is my picture:

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs51/f/2009/282/b/e/Umineko__Beatrice_vs_Battler_by_MollyXRedPanda.jpg

I would love to hear about my anatomy, details, ect.

I'm haven't took any art classes in high school (not even in high school XD) so I know I'm not going to get a lot of good reviews. sweatdrop
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:05 pm

Haha, three cheers for Umineko. XD That is a really cute picture.

I'd love to critique your piece, but I don't have time to give it justice right now. So if you can wait just a little, I'll get back to you. smile

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100

Yvienna

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:13 pm

I'm addicted to Umineko like how people are addicted to drugs. XD

And take your time, I am very patient.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, I know Beatrice looks taller than Battler. >.< I was hoping I could edit that when I color it.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:24 am

Ok, I will see if I can't start out the critique at least.

I think you've got the start of a nice piece here. I really like some of the small details you've added. In particular, I like Beatrice's rose and the buttons on Battler's coat. It's the little things that sometimes make for fun, in my opinion. Overall, for anime style, I think you've done a pretty decent job. Your line quality is pretty decent and the piece is easy to look at, I think. And, it was also possible to immediately recognize the characters. That in itself is a feat when just starting out. wink

That said, of course there are problems. Of course it's not all good stuff, right?

Ok, so I see that your anatomy does need work. The necks need work and I'm pretty sure the proportions are off on the bodies (though I'm having trouble picking out where). The faces also need some help, particularly the face shape. Beatrice's profile is a bit plain, even for anime style. Also, Battler's face also feels a bit off to me. I still like the expressions though. I'd also add that the eyes are a bit bland right now too. I think you don't need the extra circle added in there. If you want to add highlights or make the eyes more interesting, I'd suggest looking at an eye tutorial. In anime, the eyes are the pivotal point of the whole image sometimes. And if you don't get the eyes right, you're in trouble. smile That said, the expressions are very cute and they made me smile. You can see Beatrice being her pissy self.

Next, I'd also say that the figures are a bit flat right now. Thing that can help with alleviating flatness include adding picking a light source, shading, and in some cases, adding color. And, of course, getting very good at anatomy also helps, even when drawing anime style. Although you probably won't want to hear this, drawing realism is probably the best way you can get better at drawing anime.

The only other thin I'd add is just, work on composition just a little bit more. The perspective you picked is pretty flat on and this leaves a lot of room in the center of the image where there's nothing going on. I notice you've added a background, and I think that's good... but you could try making one that isn't so abstract and it might make your image all that more interesting to look at.

OK, time's up for me. Gotta get going. wink Hope I hoped a little bit.

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100

Yvienna

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:00 pm

syrella
Ok, I will see if I can't start out the critique at least.

I think you've got the start of a nice piece here. I really like some of the small details you've added. In particular, I like Beatrice's rose and the buttons on Battler's coat. It's the little things that sometimes make for fun, in my opinion. Overall, for anime style, I think you've done a pretty decent job. Your line quality is pretty decent and the piece is easy to look at, I think. And, it was also possible to immediately recognize the characters. That in itself is a feat when just starting out. wink

That said, of course there are problems. Of course it's not all good stuff, right?

Ok, so I see that your anatomy does need work. The necks need work and I'm pretty sure the proportions are off on the bodies (though I'm having trouble picking out where). The faces also need some help, particularly the face shape. Beatrice's profile is a bit plain, even for anime style. Also, Battler's face also feels a bit off to me. I still like the expressions though. I'd also add that the eyes are a bit bland right now too. I think you don't need the extra circle added in there. If you want to add highlights or make the eyes more interesting, I'd suggest looking at an eye tutorial. In anime, the eyes are the pivotal point of the whole image sometimes. And if you don't get the eyes right, you're in trouble. smile That said, the expressions are very cute and they made me smile. You can see Beatrice being her pissy self.

Next, I'd also say that the figures are a bit flat right now. Thing that can help with alleviating flatness include adding picking a light source, shading, and in some cases, adding color. And, of course, getting very good at anatomy also helps, even when drawing anime style. Although you probably won't want to hear this, drawing realism is probably the best way you can get better at drawing anime.

The only other thin I'd add is just, work on composition just a little bit more. The perspective you picked is pretty flat on and this leaves a lot of room in the center of the image where there's nothing going on. I notice you've added a background, and I think that's good... but you could try making one that isn't so abstract and it might make your image all that more interesting to look at.

OK, time's up for me. Gotta get going. wink Hope I hoped a little bit.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I will definitetly take your advice.
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games