Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Here is something for ppl thinking about going VEGAN!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you thinking about it?
  yepp
  no...
  I already am vegan!
View Results

Prismatic Unicorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:09 am
This is a great site with a list of everyday foods that are vegan.
http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:03 am
It lists jello mix on there... i thought jello wasn't vegan?  

Aphorism

Lonely Noob

Sexual Liberationist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:10 pm
Aphorism
It lists jello mix on there... i thought jello wasn't vegan?

The pudding mixes can be vegan, but certainly not the gelatin desserts. With the pudding mixes, I'd read the ingredients each time to double check, but they can be made with soymilk or other seed milks....  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:02 am
Sexual Liberationist

The pudding mixes can be vegan, but certainly not the gelatin desserts. With the pudding mixes, I'd read the ingredients each time to double check, but they can be made with soymilk or other seed milks....

I tried making pudding with soy milk once. But it would not solidify like pudding is supposed to in the fridge. It stayed liquid. So it was pretty much just cookies and cream flavored soy milk at that point. confused Has anyone else had any luck with it?  

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

Sexual Liberationist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:05 pm
LorienLlewellyn
Sexual Liberationist

I tried making pudding with soy milk once. But it would not solidify like pudding is supposed to in the fridge. It stayed liquid. So it was pretty much just cookies and cream flavored soy milk at that point. confused Has anyone else had any luck with it?

Was it instant or noninstant? The instant ones used to have dairy in them, so I haven't tried them, though I'm interested in giving them a try now. With the noninstant ones, it's not just heating it up, but you have to give the starch crystals time enough to dissolve. Agar works about the same way...  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:48 pm
I believe it was instant. So you think I'd have better luck with the non-instant?  

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

Peppermint Cherry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:37 am
That accidentally vegan list is NEVER updated. Companies change recipes, so the products are non-vegan, but it never gets taken off the list. Like quaker chocolate chip chewy granola bars. that was my lunch everyday for a year, than they changed the recipe >.<  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:27 pm
LorienLlewellyn
I believe it was instant. So you think I'd have better luck with the non-instant?

I know the non-instant works. It's also easy to make puddings from scratch - actually many basic ways to do it. Just fresh bananas, peeled, with a little citrus to prevent discoloration, processed with cocoa and/or coconut. Or add key lime juice. Or a mix of bananas and soft tofu together, with just a little sweetening, plus cocoa or coconut. You can set up any seed milk with corn starch, arrowroot powder or agar. Chocolate pudding cake recipes are usually vegan too...  

Sexual Liberationist

Sexual Liberationist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:32 pm
Peppermint Cherry
That accidentally vegan list is NEVER updated. Companies change recipes, so the products are non-vegan, but it never gets taken off the list. Like quaker chocolate chip chewy granola bars. that was my lunch everyday for a year, than they changed the recipe >.<

I've had experiences like that too. I don't know why corporations want to lose the trust of their customers like that. Reading the Dilbert comic strips helps makes some sense of it. It would be nice if somebody would maintain an accurate list....  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:38 am
Peppermint Cherry

Since I'm on PETA's street team, I'll shoot them an e-mail telling them that they need to update it! =O
Hopefully they'll hop to it! biggrin  

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Sexual Liberationist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:06 pm
Sakakikala
Peppermint Cherry

Since I'm on PETA's street team, I'll shoot them an e-mail telling them that they need to update it! =O
Hopefully they'll hop to it! biggrin

There's probably new things to add to the list, too....  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:57 am
that list has been the same since i first went on peta in my 8th grade year(i'm a senior year). it's not reliable, most of that stuff probably isn't vegan. & some of it contained traces of animal products anyways, so ******** peta.  

pinkcatminht

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff