Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
So, you think clocktock can help you... [closed] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:27 pm
I will definitely work on that.
I'll probably post something tomorrow, if that's all right with you.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:07 am
Yes, go ahead. You may consider it an open invitation :>  

clocktock

Rainbow Lime

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:57 am
*raises hand* I have three questions.

How do you keep your sketchy lines so neat yet reatin that 'sketchy' style to them?

Oh yeah and hands o.O Got any way to try and get them digits down pat? I've used the method where you use boxes but it ends up clocky and awkward looking.

Lastly, got any tips for clothing in general? I find myself drawing figures but fearfull of dressing them since all my folds look static and er....well it looks like a paperdoll xD You know how you just stick their clothes on the frame? Folds, clothing ideas, shading etc. I struggle with all this and more!

Obviously I'm not looking for insta presto 'this is how you do it ' guide. More like on how you see these things and then manage to capture them so well on paper would be nice//course I won't bash the instra presto guide if you have one handy xDD ( me and all the other mentees )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:38 am
Sorry, I haven't had time to do new inks, but I do have this <3.  

The Titanium Spork

A Blank Face

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:07 am
um could u explain that a little more?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:10 am
Rainbow Lime
How do you keep your sketchy lines so neat yet reatin that 'sketchy' style to them?

I do all of my penciling with mechanical pencils, and all of the "finished" pencil pieces on my deviantART excluding two (so, all *but* this and this) are done on marker paper. I attribute a lot to my paper, to be honest. I get really grumpy using anything else. The two that I linked, in my opinion, are fuzzier because they were done on nastygross paper.
So, you can see, maybe not the lines but the shading is a lot grainier, due to the graininess of the paper.

Anyway, I feel that a lot of what you do when you want to make something "sketchy" is not about the lines, but about the line fills. For example, the pants on this thing have all the hatching. This and this are examples with little to no shadows, but with patterns and so-on for clothing patterns.

Rainbow Lime
Oh yeah and hands o.O Got any way to try and get them digits down pat? I've used the method where you use boxes but it ends up clocky and awkward looking.
I draw a box for the, uh, palm area, and then I draw the fingers in two boxy rectangles. I'm pretty sure it does, in fact, look weird.

Rainbow Lime
Lastly, got any tips for clothing in general? I find myself drawing figures but fearfull of dressing them since all my folds look static and er....well it looks like a paperdoll xD You know how you just stick their clothes on the frame? Folds, clothing ideas, shading etc. I struggle with all this and more!
Try looking up images of the clothing you're trying to draw? I do tons of google image searches when I do the clothing on any given picture.

The Titanium Spork
Sorry, I haven't had time to do new inks, but I do have this <3.

The shading looks quite uneven. I think that the picture is too big for the detail it conveys, basically. What type of paper did you use? I know a lot of what I say about pencil work is "dang computer paper is kind of meh," but, heheheh...
Not completely lost with it, though. There is still some shading to do, but it is much, much more difficult to keep things even. I can't really give any advice on how to do it with paper that doesn't erase that well, other than make sure you have an eraser that takes to your paper well on hand, and then don't be afraid to erase parts of your shading if they don't look good, to redo them.

Kyzak
um could u explain that a little more?
If you mean the inking, then uh, no. I don't think I can.  

clocktock

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:45 pm
Mmkay. I shall work on my shadingering s'more.
Should I invest in better paper? (This was out of a sketchbook, so it's practically just yellowed bound typing paper.) I mean, my eraser's pretty good, and, if all else fails, I have a kneaded eraser.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:04 am
You can keep going with the paper you have, for sure. You'll just need to remember that your shading can only be as smooth as the grain of the paper you're using, and so you'll want to adjust the look you're going for based on how grainy you know the result will be.  

clocktock

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:50 am
Mmkay, cool, thank you :3  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:37 pm
If you still have a slot open... can I be your mentee?  

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

clocktock

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:40 pm
Fiammetta Rey
If you still have a slot open... can I be your mentee?
Ahh... please read the first post, I am not formally taking mentees. You may feel free to post in this thread with questions or what-have-you, though.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:55 am
Are you still active at this time?  

M41-TY

Romantic Lunatic

2,600 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Wall Street 200

clocktock

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:42 pm
M41-TY
Are you still active at this time?
Oh my gosh, I apologize for not answering you sooner! I guess the answer to this question could be seen as a "no," given the time that I took to reply, but it has been quite some time since someone posted in this thread!

If you would like to ask me a question and you are still about, then absolutely feel free to! I will be sure to check in more regularly if there are posts happening.

It is just a shame one cannot subscribe to guild threads =/.  
Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff