Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
KPB Sketchbook. Ready 2 Critique?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SirPomPomz

Invisible Lunatic

9,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:26 pm
Hello All. I'm Kon Pee Ba! Or PanPan.

My Gallery.

My Status & Updates

(10/06/2009)I'll be in and out. Because of my college classes.

My reasons for being here is to get constructive criticism, and I mean any type of criticism. And I would like to have suggestions as to what I need to do. I am studying anatomy at the sidelines. Anything from suggestion to tutorials will help me. I would like to grow as an artist. And I would need your help with your criticism. I won't cry over criticism... instead I'm striving for them since I don't get much help from my friends. But Yeah!!! Just shoot away.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:28 pm
Images I want Critiqued

I know there's something weird about this image.

User Image

Tell me How I can draw distinct facial features. Whats the best method?

User Image

SirPomPomz

Invisible Lunatic

9,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Dressed Up 200

SirPomPomz

Invisible Lunatic

9,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:29 pm
reserved  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:30 pm
reserved.  

SirPomPomz

Invisible Lunatic

9,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Dressed Up 200

SirPomPomz

Invisible Lunatic

9,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:49 pm
It'll be a while to get some critiques in here.
.-.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:59 am
Hey, you will probably have to lurk around here for a bit in order to get decent critique. That said, when you get it, it should be better than the typical babble.

From what I can see of your art, I think it's mostly just anatomy related issues that are distracting from your intent. I think you're almost there and doing the right things (I see guidelines, for example), but it's just not quite perfected yet.

For example, one thing I noticed which is pretty consistent throughout all of your examples here, is that your skull shape is a bit off.

http://en.wikivisual.com/images/4/4e/Gray_190_-_The_skull_from_the_front.png

I know it's pseudo-anime style, but try to study the shape a bit more. For one, the head gets wider as it goes up and even extends beyond the jawline. Also, don't be afraid to draw chins. I notice you do sometimes, but they aren't so well defined.

Also, be careful of your hairline. On at least one your pictures, I think it's starting too far down. Leave room for the forehead, even if you cover it with bangs later. This goes along with the earlier comment about the skull shape, but don't let your characters suffer from "flat-head" syndrome. By this I mean drawing the hair in such a way that it makes the skull look too small. The only other anatomy related thing I would point out is the neck. Be careful when you draw neck muscles. smile You may want to reference them a bit more. I know I suck at them too, so don't feel bad.

Lastly, I know you asked about facial features... I think the best method would be to try just drawing different expressions. Particularly, eyebrows, eyes, and mouths are your friends. Your faces right now feel a little bit expressionless and apart from just sort of "content" or "amused", I'm not feeling much life. Try exaggerating a bit for awhile and when you get good at that, try drawing dynamic poses to match your new exaggerated faces. Like for surprise, you could have a spider dropping down from the ceiling. Maybe your character would put their hands up or jump back...etc etc.

After that, you can always go back and work on the more "subtle" emotions.

Hope this was a bit helpful... good luck. biggrin  

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100

SirPomPomz

Invisible Lunatic

9,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:06 pm
XieXie.
Thanx Syrella!
Thanx for the tip and help. And I will most definitely look into the skull anatomy. Guess I'll be working with facial expressions for a while.^^; And hopefully around this weekend I can also go critiquing too. Just been busy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:24 pm
Kon Pee Ba
XieXie.
Thanx Syrella!
Thanx for the tip and help. And I will most definitely look into the skull anatomy. Guess I'll be working with facial expressions for a while.^^; And hopefully around this weekend I can also go critiquing too. Just been busy.

No problem. smile Bu ke qi. Your art style is pretty nice and I like forward to seeing more. Keep at it!

Oh... if you have anything else you want me to look at, let me know. XD I'm not an expert, but I try to give honest feedback.  

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100

the Caelos

Leadfooted Phantom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:45 pm
You have a solid grasp on coloring: the vest came out very well, particularly where the outlining wasn't overdone. The clouds have an interesting style, and you've started to polish up what you do.

-The basket is a little too round on the edges, and only its shape really gives away what it is. Details like the weave are crucial, and in the opening there should be darkness behind where the cat creature's peeking out.
-In some parts, like the sleeves, I think you've overdone outlining where a simple darker color could have helped - like how you did on the checkered vest.
-However, on the skirt I don't think there's enough contrast, and could do with a black line or two on major folds.

As for your question on faces, observation is key. The blue girl looks to have a small nose and light lips with large, relaxed eyes with the neutral rest of her brows. The spikey haired boy first row center seems to have the most facial variation eyes-wise, having rounder upper lids than most of your characters. You seem to favor a somewhat flat, small nose. Try starting from different points of the nose - the nostrils, the triangle-bridge between the eyes, the point, et cetera, and deviating that way.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:32 am
Firstly, your artwork is very good. You have a strong grasp of colouring (especially hair) and anatomy.
There were only a few things I could see that could be improved on the girl with the blue hair.
I redlined it to give you an idea of what I mean here.
Her right arm could come away from the body a bit more to show that the little chibi has form, rather then making him look like a flat piece of paper.
Also her left arm looks a bit short, although it's well proportioned. I also suggest possibly positioning the hand in a different way, as carrying a heavy picnic basket with the wrist at that angle would get painful fast!
Those points are relatively minor ones however, and I especially love the cute little bird! : )

To draw distinct facial features it's best to practice from life. If you understand how to simplify the expressions from life into your unique style it can make finding expressions a lot easier. : )
I suggest that you get out a mirror and try drawing your own facial expressions, or googling up picture of other people if you don't want to draw yourself.

Keep up the good work and good luck!  

no surrender

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces