Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Equipmentless Magic

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sivirs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:10 pm
I recently moved to Maryland to join my fiancee and our kitty. Unfortunately, I had to pretty much leave all my supplies behind due to space concerns (I had to glare sternly at the boy just to get to bring my favorite books on top of my movies and video games). We really don't have the money to buy more right now, since I had to turn down my internship-turned-job to come here and am unemployed, and all of the money he's earning is going to more important things.

I've never been much of a visualizer - I'm a very skeptical person, the kind that pretty much needs an entity to whack her upside the head and go "I'm here, dumbass!" just to convince herself she isn't hallucinating or just dreaming (and even then, I go back and forth a lot). I've tended to rely very heavily on the trappings in the past because it lets me get over my skepticism and focus on the action rather than analyzing if I'm "seeing" anything or not, and I've never really been able to SEE anything (well, other than results, but I mean literally SEE anything).

Any recommendations on how to go about basically starting over, but this time without equipment? Obviously I don't expect earth-shattering results RIGHT AWAY RIGHT NOW, but at least a good starting point would be nice, or even just recommended reading (preferably the online free kind, though I can splurge on inexpensive books too since I still have savings from when I was employed).

My question applies to deities as much as spellwork. How do you give tribute when you don't have an altar space (nor do I really feel comfortable setting one up in our current place) and don't really know what to give or how to give it?

(Annnnd that should probably also cover why I've been gone for so long - complete life restructuring led to me not really feeling like checking Gaia for a long time, or if I did, I'd just get my daily items, feed my digital fish, and go.)  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:29 pm
Depends on the deity.
Some are very exacting as to how they want their tribute, others are less concerned.

As far as dweomers, I never play in the chemistry or physics lab without full equipment, but that's just how i do things, if you are using the equipment to provide psycho-drama, then just make something else, if the objects are part fo the actual formulae, then don't try it without having something that is causally identical.  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:49 am
Remind me what your path consists of?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:43 pm
TeaDidikai
Remind me what your path consists of?

I try to maintain a primarily Norse basis, with a little bit of chaos magic theory around the edges, and a few obligatory slavic family traditions and superstitions in there as well. Within the Nordic, I lean very heavily toward seidh (ironic, given my serious visualization issues, but that's always the way it goes with me).  

Sivirs

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:34 pm
As far as Asatru goes, I would likely start with a passage from the Havamal:

Dost know how to write, dost know how to read,
dost know how to paint, dost know how to prove,
dost know how to ask, dost know how to offer,
dost know how to send, dost know how to spend?

How much of this can you discern?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff