Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Shading (pencil drawing)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ACDC1551

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:21 pm
I have a hard time shading
and every time ive tried hatching techniques it flat out sux
Is there anything anyone can show/tell me that will help me with it?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:23 pm
If you post a sample, it might help us understand what is is that you need help with 3nodding  

Laila Izuka

Agile Paladin

13,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Firestarter 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100

ACDC1551

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:55 pm
Laila Izuka
If you post a sample, it might help us understand what is is that you need help with 3nodding

ok well i dont know if i can but i will try  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:05 pm
ACDC1551
Laila Izuka

ok well i dont know if i can but i will try
im just not very good with darkining and littining thing see it like all the same and not very good see  

ACDC1551

Tiara_Estella

Shirtless Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:09 pm
It seems more like you color it all quickly o-o

An easy way to practice how hard/soft to press to to take a blank page and shade random areas.
In some pressure more than others but try so that none of them are the same shade.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:17 am
Why don't you try lightly erasing what you want highlighted. Give it a try.  

Sazarac

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:35 am
Your hatching just looks like scribbled. You don't have to be so a**l that you use a straight edge but you should put some method into it. http://www.methart.com/tutorials/hatching1.jpg

Here is a good example of hatching. There are discernable lines.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:40 pm
Try imagining where your lightsource is coming from, and as others have said before, vary the pressure you put on the pencil (or if cross-hatch shading, how many times you hatch over a certain area)

Here's an example of my cross hatching technique, which might help a bit more than me trying to explain.
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq49/p1casso123/IMG_2796.jpg

And for a shading example in pencil.
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq49/p1casso123/IMG_2790.jpg

And for some extreme shading:
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq49/p1casso123/IMG_2706.jpg

If you have anymore questions about shading, message me. ^-^
Hope it helps  

Otome Picasso

5,500 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Podium

Lonely Man-Lover

13,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:48 pm
Also, If you hold the pencil slanted a little it helps you not push so hard.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:04 am
Okay. My best advise, when it comes to pencil shading, is delivered in the form of a question: what kind of paper are you using, and why?

Certain effects are, in my experience, paper-dependant. It's all well and good to crosshatch on your printer paper, but unless you are some sort of godly pencil machine, anything you block in will not look smooth! Sometimes you want this effect, but I am going with the assumption that the effect you want is not the effect you are getting.

It may seem like a weird suggestion, but this marker paper is what I do most of my pencil work on. This s**t is SMOOTH. If I want tooth, I use varying types of bristol instead, I won't go into detail on that because it's pretty intuitive how the tooth effects the shading.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
smooooooth.

Anyway, the deal with that marker paper. It's really easy to get uniform shade on it, and you can put A LOT of graphite down on the paper and still erase it off. A good thing to do with pencil shading: load your paper up with as much graphite as it'll take (know your paper!), and then lift hilights back off with your eraser. Rinse/repeat to get the desired effect.  

clocktock

ACDC1551

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:14 pm
clocktock
Okay. My best advise, when it comes to pencil shading, is delivered in the form of a question: what kind of paper are you using, and why?

Certain effects are, in my experience, paper-dependant. It's all well and good to crosshatch on your printer paper, but unless you are some sort of godly pencil machine, anything you block in will not look smooth! Sometimes you want this effect, but I am going with the assumption that the effect you want is not the effect you are getting.

It may seem like a weird suggestion, but this marker paper is what I do most of my pencil work on. This s**t is SMOOTH. If I want tooth, I use varying types of bristol instead, I won't go into detail on that because it's pretty intuitive how the tooth effects the shading.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
smooooooth.

Anyway, the deal with that marker paper. It's really easy to get uniform shade on it, and you can put A LOT of graphite down on the paper and still erase it off. A good thing to do with pencil shading: load your paper up with as much graphite as it'll take (know your paper!), and then lift hilights back off with your eraser. Rinse/repeat to get the desired effect.
thnx biggrin  
Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff