Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AndyX

6,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:41 am
so i recently bought a Startrek episode collection based around the Borg "species".

i see many things wrong with alot of the episodes i'm seeing.
plz correct me if i'm wrong...

the collection starts with the enterprise episode,
now one of the main things that i find wrong with the borg here, I know there is alot, but i'm just going to focus on one of the main points that i felt blew the whole thing.
Borg "awaken on earth"... not just borg awaken on earth but what are they 24th century borg awaken on, what era is ENTERPRISE? 22nd century earth? anyways i suppose i don't see any reason the borg would have even left orbit, provided they still had the "assimilate Earth" objective in mind. i can't really say how earth would have survived against it and that would be the end of the show or make for an interesting time travel episode at most.
but i don't see the borg just scampering home like that.

...and i thought that the borg were "created" when Vee'Ger fused with a human in that movie everyone wants to forget about.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:49 am
i skipped the TNG episodes so i should probably watch over them agian if nothing else to see when the borg first considered the enterprise, and crew to be assimilate-able objects.

i suppose with the borg already knowing about the federation. i suppose aisde that "you've got to keep the series going"
i don't see any reason that the borg wouldn't be chasing voyager all the way home... like voyager stole the borg's last cupcake.  

AndyX

6,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Invisibility 100

Grouchu

Original Trash

35,650 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:17 pm
Enterprise kinda messed up the Borg origins in ST (technically, First Contact did, but Enterprise didn't have to go and make an episode.) I never saw the ENT episode, but I think when the Enterprise E shot down the Borg sphere, some part of it went down...wherever it ended up in ENT.

And, still not having seen that ENT episode, were the Borg that were stranded there acting as thought they were part of the Collective? I would think that whatever was left of their s**t was gone or non-functioning after so long, and that would cause whatever drones that would wake up later to become individuals again...like that one Voyager episode with those 2 guys and girl that Seven made into a mini-collective when they were stranded on that planet. The ENT drones had no way to contact the Collective, as the Borg weren't as developed in that time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:22 am
If you listen to the audio commentary, the two gentlemen even admit that the episode was done simply because they had no other ideas to use at the time. The Enterprise episode is really nothing more than a side-story loaded with quirky flaws and boring hints to every other Borg episode ever made. Remember that all of the "Fan Collections" go by order of in-universe time/era followed by production order.

True, it was very odd that those Borg acted with a sense of unity. They should have been as conflicted as the sphere crew that Seven of Nine had once been attached to.

Yes, Enterprise takes place during the 22nd century, 2151 I believe.

Haha no I don't agree with V'Ger becoming the origins of the Borg (though I have heard that theory before). Especially since Guinan states that the Borg is thousands of years old.

And I agree one of the things that made Voyager annoying is how adamant they were in capturing a single ship.  

Frogr1701

YoukaiLuvr

4,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:30 pm
If any of you bother to read - there's a really good story arc right now that explains all of this. It starts with Resistance and follows on through the most current book, Losing the Peace. It also spans not only TNG, but Voy, DS9, and Titan as well.

***SPOILERS*** (white-washed)

To put it simply, the Borg are a corrupted version of the Caeliar. They are an alien race that shares a collective mind called the gestalt. When the NX-02 Columbia went missing, they in fact met the Caeliar and were not allowed to leave the planet. Through long events (and possibly the fact that the Caeliar used the Omega molecule for power), the planet was destroyed, and only three of the Caeliar main cities - which also functioned as ships - were able to escape.

The explosion of the planet's destruction caused a rift - destroying one city, sending another 3,000 or so years back in time, and sending the third a few hundred years back. The third had Captain Herdandez on board - along with one or two other members of her crew. The one sent way back had 3-4 members of the Columbia crew, plus 3 Caeliar.

The time in which the second city was sent was experiencing an ice-age - bitter, freezing cold and carnivorous predators that were able to withstand it. Not a good combination for the people stranded. The supplies (and lives) they had dwindled until they were forced to come to one conclusion. The Caeliar suggested a trade - they would merge their minds and strength with that of the humans and thus together would be able to make it together.

After much trials and decisions - this could not be undertaken lightly; not many people survive this - the humans agreed. However, the female Caeliar was slowing being driven mad and her mind overpowered the other ones - Caeliar or no. The result was instead of a cohesive unit, where everyone has equal sway and input - it become a 'one voice rules all'...one female voice rules all.

And that was about 3,000 years ago, according to the current ST timeline...sound familiar?

***END SPOILERS***

And that was just the abridged version. All of that was revealed in 3 books - Destiny I, II, & III. Very good ones, I must say. However, you will be lost if you don't read Resistance, Before Dishonor, & Greater than the Sum before those three.

Oh well...that's my little rant on the Borg for the day.... XD  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:51 pm
AndyX
so i recently bought a Startrek episode collection based around the Borg "species".

i see many things wrong with alot of the episodes i'm seeing.
plz correct me if i'm wrong...

You started by buying a borg collection. You are already wrong.....

Sorry, not a fan of "The Borg".

Quote:
the collection starts with the enterprise episode,
now one of the main things that i find wrong with the borg here, I know there is alot, but i'm just going to focus on one of the main points that i felt blew the whole thing.
Borg "awaken on earth"... not just borg awaken on earth but what are they 24th century borg awaken on, what era is ENTERPRISE? 22nd century earth? anyways i suppose i don't see any reason the borg would have even left orbit, provided they still had the "assimilate Earth" objective in mind. i can't really say how earth would have survived against it and that would be the end of the show or make for an interesting time travel episode at most.
but i don't see the borg just scampering home like that.

The Borg timeline was altered via first contact. yet the Borg are still native to the Delta Quadrant. There is no reason for you to think that the Borg in enterprise were more than just 'Drifters". The never "awakened" on Earth, you just read to deeply into things.

Quote:
...and i thought that the borg were "created" when Vee'Ger fused with a human in that movie everyone wants to forget about.

When did that happen? Did you make that up? Sounds similar to a plot point in Shatner's books, which are not cannon. But the Borg were never linked to V'Ger.  

Matt Pniewski

AndyX

6,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:10 pm
wow that was constructive matt,
sounds like your answers consisted of:

"you're wrong"
"you're wrong"
and
"you're Shatnerian wrong"  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:43 am
AndyX
wow that was constructive matt,
sounds like your answers consisted of:

"you're wrong"
"you're wrong"
and
"you're Shatnerian wrong"

Well, that's what I was saying. There is no shame in being wrong. I'm sure I come off as a bigger d**k than I am because I'm blunt and sarcastic. Everyone is wrong some times.  

Matt Pniewski

Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff