Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Need Help Picking Out A Tablet

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DXSciz

Invisible Humorist

11,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:25 pm
Since this question is really open ended and open for discussion I figured I should post it as its own question. Ok, so I want to buy a tablet but the tiny little 5inx4in or so seems too small. I don't draw huge though so it might work but I feel like it might be constricting. I was wondering what someone else who has a tablet would suggest. I have about 200$ and might be getting more soon so that's about my price range. However, I am always willing to save more if the quality vs price is a good balance.

Please help. Thanks.

My friend has a Bamboo Fun Tablet and he said it's perfect for his uses. I already have Photoshop Elements 5 so that's not too important as part of the bundle. I just need a good tablet that is reliable. :3

Edit: Looking into the Intuos3 brands. They are pretty expensive though so I will definately have to save up some more money.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:27 pm
Also, I have no prior experience with a tablet so yeah. <<  

DXSciz

Invisible Humorist

11,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Piecatcher 100

DXSciz

Invisible Humorist

11,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Piecatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:31 pm
Also, how can one grow used to drawing without looking at the pencil? It seems like it'd be extremely difficult. I have drawn with a mouse before though so I know it would probably feel alot like that, but it seems extremely difficult. Any tips on that would be greatly appriciated too. ^^

Trying to do as much research as possible.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:35 pm
I found two other threads in here about tablets so I will go check them out. :3  

DXSciz

Invisible Humorist

11,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Piecatcher 100

DXSciz

Invisible Humorist

11,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Piecatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:54 pm
I want an Intuos3 or something Intuos related. I know that much.
Now just have to decide which one specifically. v.v  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:02 am
What I'd suggest is the bamboo tablet. But, you want to take your preference into consideration. If you are going to use the tablet just for drawing for fun, instead of a profession, get a cheaper and smaller one. It's about the size of an average mouse pad. This is the one that I currently own. It's small and durable. Light, easy to take care of, and has the pen (with a right and left click) and mouse with it. It came with Photoshop Elements 6.0 and some other programs.

Yes, drawing with a tablet is pretty difficult when you first start out. The pen tool is about the size of your average sharpie. It's hard because you are so used to drawing on paper, looking at the page, and getting the details JUST right. What you want to do when you get your tablet is - just start out doodling something simple. Get the feel for the pen in your hand, and not looking at your tablet. You'll get used to how far you are supposed to move the pen. For me, when it comes to doodling with my tablet. I sketch out my drawing, like I would with pencil. And then I zoom into the drawing (it varies to what size brush you use), and then you will be able to get finer lines. Each artist has their own way to drawing with their tablet. But I'm sure that you'll get used to it in no time :3. I've had my tablet for about 9 months now, and I'm fully used to it. Yes, there are times when your tablet will spazz. So you'll need to unplug it, and plug it back in. The more care that you give your tablet, the longer it will last (naturally).

But keep trying, and you'll get the feel in no time ^-^, good luck on your search :3

P.S. Look at the pros and cons (customer reviews) of the tablet that you are buying. It'll help better with your search.  

Laila Izuka

Agile Paladin

13,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Firestarter 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100

MissPartyPants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:58 pm
Hi,

If you are just starting out the bamboo is great when you feel that you're skills have gotten better move on up to the Intuos. I have been using Intuos for 5 years now and they have never let me down.

Tablets are also great for using Sketch Up..It's a free program. so go download it.
It's great for 3d modelling designs.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:11 am
Thanks both of you. : D It really helepd me on picking out a tablet that's right for me.

I went and bought a Bamboo since it was cheaper and had high reviews everywhere I found.

I am sort of used to my tablet but it is very difficult. Like you said Laila Izuka, I am so used to looking at what I draw directly. I ended up getting a medium, which I feel was a little big, but it's still amazingly fun to use, lol.

I've been doodling when I get the time and I am close to my abilties now. Just takes longer. xD  

DXSciz

Invisible Humorist

11,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Piecatcher 100

Laila Izuka

Agile Paladin

13,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Firestarter 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:57 am
Congrats on your purchase :3

I still have issues drawing exactly what I want with my tablet. So I sketch what I'm gonna work on in my sketchbook. Then I copy that imagine to my computer, throw it into Photoshop, and do the line art.

And yes, it takes a lot longer to get used to. But when you get used to it, it'll feel like you are holding a mouse (well, you kinda are XD) that you can sketch with like a pen.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:49 am
Super Duper...

User Image
I have Bamboo Fun as well C: I love it I use it nonstop every day!

Happy Purchasing!

User Image

Kawaii Desu!!!

Jekkl

AnnessaJones

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:14 pm
Here's one that I'm thinking of purchasing. But I've never had one before so I don't know what to get.

Genius G-Pen F610 Digital Tablet
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9904226&findingMethod=rr  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:44 pm

ehh i see you've already bought your tablet but i feel the need to reply anyways.... :3

wacom has by far THE best tablets / tablet series.
i REALLY want the new intuos4 but i currently have the intuos3 9x12.

when i first began my tablet buying process, i also thought it'd be constricting to have a small tablet so i went a little big... ^^"

needless to say, now i've realized that it really doesnt matter the size because the tablet adjusts to your desktop and when i'm working on anything digital, i use mainly just the middle area anyways.

but congrats on the purchase! i hope you have fun exploring the different things you can do with it! ^^

Crimsonly Regretful

ASHLEYASDFGH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:58 am
      The bamboo line is magical for first tablets. Its what I have. 3nodding
      You don't have to get Bamboo fun. if you get just a regular Bamboo, it doesn't have the Cd's or the mouse, just the tablet and the pen.

Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games