Submit

NeoSaki

Long-time Gatekeeper

14,000 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Market Browser 100
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:33 pm
My dog has been pawing at her eye and its become red and there's some white sticky stuff on the side of her eye. My Neighbors have told me to give her either eye drops or give her Benedril to help her, but i'm not sure, i am thinking of taking her to the vet in two days, but I wanted to ask is the vet going to give the same thing for her medicine?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:07 pm
|°~ The Wolf is not meant for city life ~°|

|°~ But in the wilderness ~°|

If you can afford a vet then yeah you can do that.

The sticky stuff is basically just mucus because the eye is irritated probably from getting dust and crud in there.

Do as your neighbors said, just do eye drops though. Usually if its allergies a dog won't react that way, that's more human behavior than dog. If a dog has an allergy it will itch its skin.

Look closely at your puppies eye too, see if you can spot anything in there.

By the sounds of it I would put in four drops, then just take the bottom and top eyelid and rub it around a little, no pressure though. I'd do that twice a day, once when you wake up and the second time before evening.

[Edit]

Also if you still do want to try benadryl, only give half a tab.

If you don't see any improvement with the eyedrops then take it to the vet, its eye is infected.

|°~ It is your Guardian
your Blanket
your Hunter
your Loyal Companion for life
~°|

|°~ Treat it right and it will return the favor ~°|

Its Wolfeh

6,250 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Wall Street 200

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:47 pm
You should always check with your vet before giving any medicines. Benadryl can be effective, but the dosing depends on the weight of your dog. You vet can give you proper dosing instructions. They can also check what your dog may be allergic to, although nearly always, a change to a higher quality diet will show big improvement on allergies. And of course, they can take a look at that eye. It's better to be safe than sorry, an infection can wreak havoc if not put in check.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:12 am

Usually a puppy only needs half a tab, unless its something especially small like a chihuahua puppy, then cut that half tab in half. I honestly think checking for what your puppy is allergic to is a waste of money. But yes I agree with its better safe than sorry, that's why I said if you don't see an improvement take it to a vet.

|°~ It is your Guardian
your Blanket
your Hunter
~°|

Its Wolfeh

6,250 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Wall Street 200

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:21 pm
But if you know what they're allergic to you can possibly get rid of the allergen, then they won't need benadryl or steroids or anything. Obviously it's cheaper and easier to just pop them a pill, but if you have the money to go ahead and figure it out, it'll be worth it in the end because you won't be doping up your pup. I hate unnecessary medications. It's just a pet peeve of mine.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:58 pm

Ah, we just figured them out on our own. The labradoodle puppies reacted to wheat dog food and when we changed to no wheat no reaction, was the same with the cocker spaniels.

|°~ It is your Guardian
your Blanket
your Hunter
~°|

Its Wolfeh

6,250 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Wall Street 200

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:23 pm
Well if it's something that simple, it works. My friend's dog is allergic to grass. I can't tell if that would have been easy or difficult to figure out on your own.  
13. ✿ - - - Animals And Nature

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games