Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Help with this pic

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Blue Feather Wings

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:19 am

Well, I have most of the base done (need to finish the flowers and add a small village near the mountains). But something is wrong with the BG.
Is my first time doing a big and detailed BG (other pics are just little or very simple) and I dont have loot of practise about BGs. I want to fix it and practise more.
Any help is wellcome ^^. And thanks!!
PD: sorry for posting it before in the general xD, I thought I clicked on this subforum xDD.

User Image
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:02 pm

I think it would help a lot if you got pictures of trees and mountains. Look at many of them and take notes on what you see. Then draw accordingly. Reference helps us stay accurate.

I see that you're using the basics of perspective and you did a good job. I don't want to overwhelm you by picking out things here and there. Rather, just use reference and see how different what you did is from the reference. Fundamentally, you did a good job.

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Crimple

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:10 am

I think is the comparative size of the flowers to the other elements of the picture that throws the background off. The first flower looks like the size of a beachball, the further two, the size of basketballs and as we travel further, the flowers do not diminish according to perspective. And finally, the furthest flower appears to the the size of a raft ^^;

It also feels like the background is curving steeply upwards until we hit the mountains, and then it returns to the same angle as the figure, flowers and tree.

...though my mentor and I both agree I have a terrible eye for mistakes, so please get a 2nd opinion before you decide on any drastic changes xD
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:49 pm

Thanks you both for the advice, it helped me biggrin *goes to continue working*

Blue Feather Wings

Tiara_Estella

Shirtless Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:20 pm

I like the perspective, but it depends on what you're trying to achieve with your perspective.
Right now it seems like your creating a visual where everything seems so far away, distant. The mountains looks a bit unwelcoming and at the same time the river seems to attract you, the flowers slowly floating towards/away from you.

You're not done, so who knows, maybe you'll brighten it and it'll give off another message; but that's what I see at the moment.

Make sure to put the MOST detail in what looks closest to you or the perspective can be lost.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:03 pm

I'm not a mentor (of course I'm in training as a mentee) I'm just suggesting you work on the flowers. Could you post what you have adjusted to the picture because I enjoy seeing the makings of things.

PoisonousMoonlight

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff