Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Need A Little Help On Fixing This Picture

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DXSciz

Invisible Humorist

11,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:08 pm

I am starting my first full blown character reference sheet. I am planning to draw a full body front view and a matching back view. But everything else is still up in the air. Suggestions on that is ok, but I really just need some help on this picture I drew for it. This is just a sketch so somethings, like his shoes, are just shapes right now.
[Sketch in Question]

Something about it looks funny to me. One of my friends says his legs look too short and so does his torso. They could be but this is someone who has no idea on bodily proportioing so I don't trust her only on opinion. His hands would come about to his knees or so, like they should. Now I think lowering his knees might help but that's just me. And I need to do something I know cause he looks very stumpy to me. :/ Could have his chest too far to the right or too poochy too. Anyway, if you can help, that'd be greatly appriciated. Any help, even if it is a suggestion on drawing something differently or so is greatly appriciated.

And just so everyone knows, I am dealign with the flu right now so my replies will be delayed and slow. Just as a warning. xD;
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:28 pm

I'm headed to bed, so I will check here in the morning. : )

DXSciz

Invisible Humorist

11,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Piecatcher 100

Z-MusicalChairMassacre-U

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:50 am

Thats what it seems like to me too, he has a long face and neck but his body and legs seem on the shorter side
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:23 pm

Ah ok. Well then I will attempt to make them longer then. ^^

DXSciz

Invisible Humorist

11,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Piecatcher 100

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:06 am

Also, did you notice that his torso isn't really forshortened to a 3/4. His left side should be narrower than his right. Instead the two sides are pretty much the same length.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:51 am

his neck is way to long and the body is a BIT short but thats all i can see is wrong

ACDC1551

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:02 pm

what i really think it is is the jaw...he doesn't really seem to have one.

if you look it goes right from chin to ear.. there is no distinct jaw line

and his left shoulder juts out a little too far. remember when the body is turned away from the viewer, even when its fairly slight, the pec slants inward toward the body. once you have the pec right the shoulder will fall right into place.(but to be totally honest you should rely on skeletal landmarks then muscular ones)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:33 pm

Try lowering the guy's head down a little bit to make his neck shorter. And if you want, make the guy's legs just a little tiny bit longer. Mostly it's his head that's throwing the image off, I think.

Hope I'm not just repeating what everyone else said... good luck!

Azyrmis

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff