Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Is my art good enough for an art college? (critique too plz)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mond -an- mitternacht

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:37 pm

So, I just started my senior year of high school, and college is looming over me in the imminent future.
I've decided art is the path I want to take, but I've been really worried about my level of talent in relation with every other student's.
Any art school grads, here? >: From AI, preferably? I'm aiming for there, probably in their graphic arts/animation department.
I don't know what art colleges look for in art, so yeah, I'm worried. ;_;"

Anyways, here are some samples of my art.

User Image
(I'm aware the arm is too skinny on this one, but I wanted to post somethign I just recently drew)

User Image

User Image
(yay failed perspective 8D)

I'd love some really good critiques by the way. The last time I got one was years ago.

Thank you all. :'D
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:03 pm

Some colleges look down on pop-genre art, so you should watch out from that. :3 Change your approach? You should try putting together a portfolio full of sketches made from real life observations(realism sort of). And steer away from lineart, using darker values to define form. :'0 I think colleges like that kind of stuff. XD

Yulo-chan

clocktock

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:24 pm

To be honest, the thing that I find the most off-putting about what you posted is that you haven't cropped them down to the relevant areas? The first and last pictures, the pencil lineart, why include so much blank space around them?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:16 pm

@Yellow- Yeah, I know... This isn't anything I'd submit to a college or anything. And I've been doing my best to gradually become more realistic, it's just that I've been drawing animu for so long that it's really hard to change my style.

@clocktock- Only the middle one is a finished piece; the rest are just sketches. I don't really have anything at hand right now that's a good representation of my work. I guess by the question "Is my art good enough" I meant my style, not the way it's presented. Sorry, I'm pretty vague a lot of the time. ;[

mond -an- mitternacht

Teh-Akuma-Yoru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:56 am

Well, I do know that in college, generally, it's realism>anime art styles

Just be careful how they approach your art style. It's not bad, and if you don't like it, the best thing about being an artist is that you can always improve

3nodding
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:23 am

It would be a big help for you to study anatomy. Your necks are too long and the arms and legs connect strangely to the figures' torsos. And they seem to be missing crotches @_@ .

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:06 pm

I have never submitted a portfolio to go to school for art. I can say though, that when I started, everyone was terrible. So don't worry. The point is to teach you.

You do want to make sure you draw a lot of things you see. They don't want to see your cartoons. At all. They want to see that you can interpret life around you. Do life drawings of people, animals, plants, objects. Experiment with light and colour. Try drawing a car. A toy. Everything.

Focus on areas of light and dark to create the forms.

(Edit: The first couple of years is all about basics and technical learning. No one gives a ******** about your style. You're there to learn. If you want to do whatever you want, you can do it for free and not take up a space that another student can use.)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:04 pm

I have never submitted an art portfolio for college, but for certain 1st year everyone wasn't that great.
I agree with Errol McGillivray.
You should definitely practice life drawings of people, plants, objects...etc. In college that's pretty much what you'll be doing. First year, art teachers will work on changing your way of looking at things and teaching you how to see. =)
Anyone can draw but not everyone learns to see well enough to draw.

Tai-ji

5,925 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

MissPartyPants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:05 pm

Hello,

Hmm, I don't want to upset you or anything but, depending on which college you wish to attend, I wouldn't submit these.

What I found when I went for my interview was that the works that were liked were far more conceptual rather than image based.

What you need to focus on is getting yourself in the front door. Once your in you will be doing work that you never even considered, you may even change majors.

I originally applied to do painting and ended up doing sculpture and glass. I also started out studying Fine Arts and ended up graduating Maori Visual Arts.

Practice a lot more on things like flowers and plants, and then move up to shiny surfaces.

Blah blah blah... sometimes I even annoy myself.

Right now I'm studying a Masters in Maori Visual arts and I'm doing sculpture.

Yeah....do lots of different mediums....this will help lots too. If you can work in several different areas it will help out. Artists these days can't really specify in just one thing, you gotta do it all baby...

You may even find that drawing isn't your thing, you might be a print maker or a sculptor...or both. biggrin
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games