Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Flip's sketch pad:: critiques anyone?(updated again)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

FlipMaester

Fashionable Genius

4,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Hello there
my most recent work
X X X X

new stuff!!
x x

even newer stuff!!
i used a style i was more comfortable with with these ones XD
I can say ive really improved since my last ones
gothic lolita
no title
please dont go

please feel free to go through the artwork ive got up here
and please tell me what you think oh and what i could improve on
I would appreciate the critiques

oh and the tools I use are
*any kind of paper XD
*pens and mechanical pencils
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:39 pm

no one? crying

FlipMaester

Fashionable Genius

4,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Statustician 100

Tai-ji

5,925 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:39 pm

Hihi,
I was about to head off to bed but decided to take a look at your drawings. I'm going to give some feedback on your 2nd drawing(Starting from the left)
2nd Drawing

I just circled some parts that I though needed to be edited. The leg and arm I feel needs to be shortened just a bit. The right shoulder is big and I don't see the trapezius so that needs fixing. There is something awkward about his shoulder his left shoulder should be aiming up I think...I'll probably have a look at it again. I'm sleepy at the moment (_ _)zzZZZ

You can have a look at posemaniacs on the right hand side there is a link to some 3d models of hands and the nice thing about em is that you can rotate them into the position you want so that might help you out with editing the left hand.

Anyhow love the legs 3nodding
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:45 pm

Just concentrate a bit on proportion, and where muscles connect, and you should be on the right track.

Tai-Ji mentioned posemaniacs. Use it.

Also, don't define the abs as solid lines; they're subtle bumps, and you're not Akira Toriyama. The way I see it, it's better to understate musculature than to overstate it; a style like Toriyama's is hard to pull off, and it's distracting because abs are really the only muscles you give definition to.

The Titanium Spork

Yulo-chan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:04 am

User Image

I like how his face came out. XD It's pretty nice.

Alright, now. Work on giving his hair more form. Right now it's pretty flat-looking, like you made a little scribble there to represent the outline of it.
His arms are pretty long compared to his torso. Yeah and his other arm is in an awkward position; you might have to change its position so that it will make a bit more sense.
His pants need some creases and folds, and not just at the end of the pant legs. Like if he put his leg up, it will fold up his thigh a bit, and below the knees, a couple of creases will build up behind his knee.
It's not that his legs are too long; they can be as long as you want(my friends love drawings long legs, and I love to draw short legs), but you have to make sure one leg is in proportion with the other leg. Actually, it's kind of weird that one leg is pointy and the other leg is curved. You can choose one stylistic approach or the other.
Finally, you can't just put tiny marks on his torso to represent subtle/curved muscles or w/e. You can bring out the form with shading and color, and varying line thickness. :3 I hope this helps!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:59 pm

wahhh thank you all for the advice

FlipMaester

Fashionable Genius

4,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Statustician 100

FlipMaester

Fashionable Genius

4,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:06 pm

i put up some new stuff so please check them out
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:48 am

wow most of you guys need improvement but i'd understand if you guys are still preteen i bet if you practice more you'd be really good biggrin

jm203

ACDC1551

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:20 pm

Tai-ji
Hihi,
I was about to head off to bed but decided to take a look at your drawings. I'm going to give some feedback on your 2nd drawing(Starting from the left)
2nd Drawing

I just circled some parts that I though needed to be edited. The leg and arm I feel needs to be shortened just a bit. The right shoulder is big and I don't see the trapezius so that needs fixing. There is something awkward about his shoulder his left shoulder should be aiming up I think...I'll probably have a look at it again. I'm sleepy at the moment (_ _)zzZZZ

You can have a look at posemaniacs on the right hand side there is a link to some 3d models of hands and the nice thing about em is that you can rotate them into the position you want so that might help you out with editing the left hand.

weres the hands thing??
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:29 pm

ACDC1551
Tai-ji
Hihi,
2nd Drawing

weres the hands thing??

-points-
arrow Here it is!

Tiara_Estella

Shirtless Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150

ACDC1551

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:42 pm

Tiara_Estella
ACDC1551
Tai-ji
Hihi,
2nd Drawing

weres the hands thing??

-points-
arrow Here it is!
i clicked on that and a neud male torso appeared o_o
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:39 am

YellowHBPencil
User Image

not to try to undercut your advice yellow but ur proportions are slight ly off too. most noticeably in the arm.

from shoulder to elbow should not be as long as elbow to finger tips. the upper arm and fore arm around about the same length.

also the thigh is usually slightly longer then elbow to finger tips (measured from the outside hip). oddly the calf is about the right length. but tbh i always draw the legs much longer then usual myself. i use the canon of proportions for comic book heroes. were most characters are well above the standard 7- 7 1/2 heads high.

i just wanted to ad that i love proportions... for this reason. understanding proportions is knowing that proportions is comparing like to like. its everywhere and it will basically become a ruling factor in one's art. i never liked it so much when i 1st started drawing proportions (i.e. 1 pt all the way up to 5 pt. perspective) so once you get how to understand what your comparing its very easy

lastly i think the hair is fine spiky like that. its an artistic choice.., or the character has a really good and patient hair stylist XD

Folken_Schezar
Crew

FlipMaester

Fashionable Genius

4,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:55 pm

Folken:
lol im pretty sure he does his hair himself XD
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]