Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Venus Flytraps???

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:32 pm
Okay my dad has been getting very annoying about asking stupid questions about what I can and can't eat. (can you eat chicken? no. Fish? No. Eggs? yes. and so on so fourth.)

But he DID ask one that got me thinking.
If we had to, could we eat venus Flytraps?
I mean, yes, technically they are plants, but this plant CONSUMES living creatures!

What do you think?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:55 pm
Sakakikala
Okay my dad has been getting very annoying about asking stupid questions about what I can and can't eat. (can you eat chicken? no. Fish? No. Eggs? yes. and so on so fourth.)

I mean, yes, technically they are plants, but this plant CONSUMES living creatures!

What do you think?

Hm... While they are plants, I couldn't bring myself to eating it. And I mean really, there are some plants people shouldn't eat, poisonous or not. I think a Venus Flytrap is one of those plants.

I do want to plant some and keep them as "pets" in my dorm room. They would really help with the rampant insect problem we have because I don't really want to use pesticides on the poor little bugs. They'd die but at least their death would have a purpose and give nutrition to a plant.

Miza_Radioaktiv

Questionable Prophet

6,450 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Conversationalist 100

Sparrow-chan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:13 pm
Sakakikala

I don't recommend eating a venus flytrap, I can't imagine it would have much in the way of nutrients, and I have no idea if they are toxic or not (?) Although it might make for an interesting bet. *laughs*

The reason they are a "carnivorous" plant is because their native environment is so harsh (acidic swamp) they cannot obtain all their nutrients from their roots, so they catch insects to supplement. I think it's nitrogen they're after from the insects but I'm not sure....

Anyways, theoretically speaking I wouldn't let the fact that it eats insects stop you from eating it. Insects and other invertebrates are killed (and incorporated into) most every food humans produce. If it's a processed food, it has traces of insects in it. Even non-processed foods (say, fresh fruit) will have insects in them or their eggs. And if they don't... then they are so coated with pesticides you shouldn't eat it anyways!  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:19 pm
I'm pretty mean to my venus flytraps - they are only small ones that don't bite hard enough to hurt a finger, I like to feed them rocks to make them close ^___^ I have a vegan friend who thinks it's cruel, but they open again a few minutes later.  

wolfgang

Aged Gaian

10,400 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:47 pm
Thanks for your input guys! and I wasn't really talking about them being toxic or anything, just if it was ethical or not.

But with the traces of bugs no matter what thing, kinda just screams "You may as well eat it, after all, any bugs in it have prolly already been digested, so it's not like you're gonna go EATING the bug straight out."

Thanks guys! =3  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:54 am
your dad is so cool. lol. I do believe if we don't eat something nearly most of the time in our life, we don't have to worry about it, cause our bodies won't die without it, your dad is real smart xd Did you ask him back will he eat that? lol  

Kecitich

Supportive Cutesmasher

13,950 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Waffles! 25
  • Gaian 50

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:33 pm
Kecitich
your dad is so cool. lol. I do believe if we don't eat something nearly most of the time in our life, we don't have to worry about it, cause our bodies won't die without it, your dad is real smart xd Did you ask him back will he eat that? lol

No, I didn't think of that, but I still need to look up if they're poisionous or not. xd

But I think we need to get a few to keep near the compost bucket in the kitchen. all those gnats and flies.*shivers*  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:09 pm
Sakakikala
Kecitich

No, I didn't think of that, but I still need to look up if they're poisionous or not. xd

But I think we need to get a few to keep near the compost bucket in the kitchen. all those gnats and flies.*shivers*

If you have gnats in your compost then your mixture is probably either too wet and isn't draining well enough or doesn't have enough carbon in it.

Let us know how it goes with the posionous and eating and what not.  

Sunkist Serenade

3,600 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • Consumer 100

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:44 am
Sunkist Serenade
Sakakikala
Kecitich

If you have gnats in your compost then your mixture is probably either too wet and isn't draining well enough or doesn't have enough carbon in it.

Let us know how it goes with the posionous and eating and what not.

Turns out it's not edible. LOL

But as for my compost in the kitchen, yes, it is almost always wet. We did a lot of canning recently(its scince been cleaned) but we had a LOT of tomatoe juices and stuff in it.
'w'  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:01 am
Aww. I see. so nobody talks about eating that plants 3nodding vegan/vegeterian nor not smile Thanks for telling us this funny story your dad came up to tease you wink  

Kecitich

Supportive Cutesmasher

13,950 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Waffles! 25
  • Gaian 50

Ammonia Spike

7,650 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:02 pm
Miza_Radioaktiv
Sakakikala

What do you think?

Hm... While they are plants, I couldn't bring myself to eating it. And I mean really, there are some plants people shouldn't eat, poisonous or not. I think a Venus Flytrap is one of those plants.

I do want to plant some and keep them as "pets" in my dorm room. They would really help with the rampant insect problem we have because I don't really want to use pesticides on the poor little bugs. They'd die but at least their death would have a purpose and give nutrition to a plant.

I have a pitcher plant in my room for the same purpose.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:34 pm
wolfgang
I'm pretty mean to my venus flytraps - they are only small ones that don't bite hard enough to hurt a finger, I like to feed them rocks to make them close ^___^ I have a vegan friend who thinks it's cruel, but they open again a few minutes later.

this made me laugh xD. i was at a store that sold small vinus fly traps, and enjoyed poking them to see them close quite a bit. so i could see myself feeding them rocks too.... mrgreen  

reptileluver101

jacketcat

Friendly Cat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:01 am
I wouldn't eat it, because it's like killing something that moves. It also has a sense of pressure (I think), and that's why it responds when a fly lands on it. So, it might not feel pain, but maybe a slight pressure...? I don't know. My answer to eating a venus fly trap would always be no. It would just unnerve me to eat one, anyways, just because it moves.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm
it's a plant, nonotheless. rabbits and brontosauruses and giraffes all eat plants. venus flytraps just have a different way of getting energy than other plants that get most of their nutrients from the sun and the soil& stuff... I dunno  

nautilus96

2,100 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Junior Trader 100

nautilus96

2,100 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Junior Trader 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:39 pm
So anyways, it wouldnt be against vegetarianism to eat one, although I wouldn't recommend it XD  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games