Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Where on earth are you from? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ficklefiend
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:37 pm
ficklefiend

I would be instructed to "Dicht your auxters." and was sung songs about corbies and cuddies. We use "slange" as a toast, we are forever bairns and quines to our grandparents, who would always give us a bosey. We learned Ceileid dancing at school, ate buttries, softies, white pudding, would give our rooms a redup and go out on the randan.

By way of translation;

1. Dicht= wipe
2. Auxters= underarms
3. Corbie= crow
4. Cuddy= horse
5. Slange var= "cheers"
6. Bairn= child
7. Quine= girl
8. Bosey= cuddle
9. Caileid= Scottish dance
10. Buttries= Flat savory pastries composed mainly of salt and butter, classed as an ultimate sin in the weightwatchers bible.
11. Softies= bap or soft bun.
12. White pudding= you probably know of this oatmeal sausage, since they are popular in several other places but we batter them, just to make sure they stick to the walls of your arteries nice and solidly.
13. Redup= clean
14. Randan= "painting the town red" sort of expression- gaelic.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:29 pm
ficklefiend
ice_illusion
Hmm, I just realised about half those words were Aberdonian. Was that gaelic? I always thought it was a completely different language but I can see how it would get muddled up.

Gaelic is a completely different language and should be, by all rights, held in equal esteem as an official language of Scotland along with English.

What I am reffering to is an old idea of a Scottish language based on English, but different enough to be classified not as a dialect but as a language in it's own right. Scots was regarded to be a different language informally up until the act of union with England, wherupon it became recognised as a dialect of English. This was mostly due to the fact that it was mainly a spoken language. As such it had no formal spellings and few books.

The words are Aberdonian..so guess where I am from wink

Thats what I had previously thought, (about it being based on english), but Illy confused me. *Pointed look*

I remember Agnes and Sandy used to speak like that when I lived up there.
Then I moved south and I had to learn a different version of Scots.
Caw = Crow
And I think Cuddy means boy somewhere but I may be muddled. It might be a highland one or something?  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:57 pm
ice_illusion
ficklefiend
ice_illusion
Hmm, I just realised about half those words were Aberdonian. Was that gaelic? I always thought it was a completely different language but I can see how it would get muddled up.

Gaelic is a completely different language and should be, by all rights, held in equal esteem as an official language of Scotland along with English.

What I am reffering to is an old idea of a Scottish language based on English, but different enough to be classified not as a dialect but as a language in it's own right. Scots was regarded to be a different language informally up until the act of union with England, wherupon it became recognised as a dialect of English. This was mostly due to the fact that it was mainly a spoken language. As such it had no formal spellings and few books.

The words are Aberdonian..so guess where I am from wink

Thats what I had previously thought, (about it being based on english), but Illy confused me. *Pointed look*

I remember Agnes and Sandy used to speak like that when I lived up there.
Then I moved south and I had to learn a different version of Scots.
Caw = Crow
And I think Cuddy means boy somewhere but I may be muddled. It might be a highland one or something?

~grins~ I'm good at that...then again, there are still a few of us out there who speak Gaelic - admittedly more of them speak the Irish form, but hey...can't have it all.

And as to my own Scottish ancestry...well...~shifty~ According to one of my rather MORE Scot-than-me ex boyfriends...I'm just a half breed... gonk  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:53 am
I was born in Kemijarvi in Northern Finland but now I live in South-West coast,in Turku.  

Carmen LaVihta

Darth Buttsecks

Dapper Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:06 pm
I am... American. gonk With a bit of English, Deutch, Scottish, and EVERYTHING IN THE ENTIRE WORLD IN ME. I'm such a mut. :X And the whole Scottish and Irish gaelic thing confuses me. >.< Aisa and I spoke of it the other day. Buttfries sound good, too.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:11 am
Timeless Visage
I am... American. gonk With a bit of English, Deutch, Scottish, and EVERYTHING IN THE ENTIRE WORLD IN ME. I'm such a mut. :X And the whole Scottish and Irish gaelic thing confuses me. >.< Aisa and I spoke of it the other day. Buttfries sound good, too.

Buttfries! xd You are talking about buttries aren't you? I did first think chip butty but I don't think thats what you meant. XD

Me, I'm quarter N.Irish (although a long time ago that line went over from Scotland), quarter (I think) S.Irish (apparently theres a bit of French and German from that), quarter Swedish and quarter British mix.

I used to know a Irish Gaelic for shut the door but have forgotten it. But Tigh Geal means White House in Scottish Gaelic. I think the direct translation is house white.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Darth Buttsecks

Dapper Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:21 pm
ice_illusion
Timeless Visage

Buttfries! xd You are talking about buttries aren't you? I did first think chip butty but I don't think thats what you meant. XD

Me, I'm quarter N.Irish (although a long time ago that line went over from Scotland), quarter (I think) S.Irish (apparently theres a bit of French and German from that), quarter Swedish and quarter British mix.

I used to know a Irish Gaelic for shut the door but have forgotten it. But Tigh Geal means White House in Scottish Gaelic. I think the direct translation is house white.

gonk I always read things wrong or funny. I seriously think I'm dyslexic or something sometimes. Yes, buttries, which I read as buttfries.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:34 am
I was born in America as well but I'm not quite a huge mutt. I'm German, Irish, French Canadian and Native American. My moms dad came from Ireland and my dads family is all German and my moms mom is french canadian and native american and it's the Micmac tribe from up in Quebec.  

LLT

Koshkah

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:27 am
Invictus_88
No Scottish blood in me, nor Irish. Not a drop.

My blood is pure Franco-Anglo-Saxo-Norman.

rolleyes

Same here!! lol  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:34 am
I'm quarter-caste... woo!

A quarter from the Carribean. The rest of me is English and Irish. One-sixteenth Irish.

Cleocatra

IRL Trash

34,625 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100

Pixeluscious

5,850 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:30 pm
I was born in London but have lived in the NE for the whole of my life, I've never lived away but the UK.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:20 am
I'm a southerner. I was born in Southampton and I live in Southampton.

I do have some Yorkshire ale in me though xd  

Rev.Matt

Lemmie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:05 am
I am a Scottish, English, Irish, Russian mix. I now live in Glasgow, and have recently discovered tea.

Go me!  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces