Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Openness about your beliefs Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Maze

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:59 am
1. Family;

Other than my father, my family has zero interest in my personal beliefs. They're bound to be crazy, stupid, outlandish, insert negative adjective here, and gone tomorrow, only to be replaced by s**t that's even weirder and less interesting.

When we do discuss religion, they tend to get concerned I'm not doing it right.

2: Classroom;

Depends on the classroom itself, the people in it, and their level of perceived intellect.

3: Strangers/Acquaintances;

Do friends count?

People on this forum? Anything I run into. These folks are mighty useful for knocking the wind out of sails that are full of uselessly hot air, after all. So, hey, might as well make the fall while I'm near the ground, right?

Hurts less, that way.

Random strangers I meet in the train/on the street, I'd have to say it damn well depends on the situation, the strangers, and the mood I'm in. Though I can generally be called upon to discuss interesting things no matter how tired I am.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:14 am
How much are you willing to share about your: personal beliefs, traditions, culture, religion with family? If they had any interest, plenty. They know all they care to know, and it's fine like that.

How much are you willing to share in a learning environment such as a classroom? Depends on what kind of class it is. Likely not much though.

How much are willing to share with strangers or acquaintances? Probably just that I'm not religious.  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

ColetteCatastrophe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:05 am
Synnthetika
How much are you willing to share about your: personal beliefs, traditions, culture, religion with family?

Not much seeing as I'm not entirely sure how they will react to it at this point.

Synnthetika
How much are you willing to share in a learning environment such as a classroom?

I'll share a bit more in a learning environment than with family being that I don't really care what they think of me but since I have to deal with them on an almost daily basis I don't want or need people to stare anymore than they have to.

Synnthetika
How much are willing to share with strangers or acquaintances?

I'll share more with strangers online because I never have to actually meet them and hear their judgement in person or have them stare at me.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:06 am
Synnthetika
How much are you willing to share about your: personal beliefs, traditions, culture, religion with family?

Depends on the family member. Essentially, 100%, but I censor my casual conversation since my mother is very much in disagreement with my world view.

Quote:
How much are you willing to share in a learning environment such as a classroom?

Just about anything.

Quote:

Depends on the vibe I get from said individual.  

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

Collowrath

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:14 am
Synnthetika

I share culture, traditions, and many beliefs with my family. As far as religion goes, in the last generation, everyone's started going their separate ways (baptized Catholic when they were young, now they're all over the place).

I don't have any contact with my dad's family and I don't share much with him.

Quote:

Nothing personal. In classes, I try to remain objective and detached. My personal beliefs aren't fodder for their discussion - but if the topic of a religion I'm familiar with or a participant in, I will tend to approach it from the perspective of someone that's familiar.

Quote:

Nothing. There's an element of courtesy here - it can be a touchy subject that might be uncomfortable for the both of us.

I'll talk religion with missionaries though, but hardly ever from a personal perspective. I have a feeling that most missionaries I've spoken to come away with the idea that I'm a Christian. cool

If it's a forum such as this wherein the topic is religious in nature, I offer up a lot more. I'll bet money that the people who read my posts here know more about my religious ideas than most anyone else, which should give you some idea of how much I'm willing to honestly talk about it offline (from a personal, I believe perspective). I absolutely adore talking religion and mythology with my closest friends, but hardly ever from that personal perspective.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:38 am
Synnthetika

Depends on what family member.
My husband, I can tell anything to. He might look at me funny, but beyond, "That's kinda weird," he doesn't judge.
My mother, nothing. She's getting weird about me going to church and doesn't understand why I would want to. Her comments might seem harmless - "What, are you gonna turn into a Catholic?" - but I think she would be disappointed or something if I sat down and told her my beliefs.
My stepdad, I might actually be a little bit more open with, but not much more. He's a latent Catholic and likes the idea of me going to church, etc.
Other family members... different beliefs might make themselves more apparent than others, depending on who it is and what I know of their beliefs.

Synnthetika

I'd probably be more detailed, although I'd take care to offer constant disclaimer that, "This is MY belief and other people probably won't think the same thing."

Synnthetika

It depends.
Random people I meet face-to-face on the street? Nothing.
IRL friends? A little more. More than most family members, but only if they ask.
Guilds and forums? Depending on the atmosphere, what's asked for, what's relevant, or almost everything (like here, for example).  

Nines19

PhantomPhoenix0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:58 am
Synnthetika

Umm... not very? Although I suppose thats kinda misleading. I have no qualms about explaining it, or discussing it, so long as they're open minded about the whole thing.

Synnthetika

Depends on the context. I dont see a problem with wearing a Thor's Hammer or anything in plain view, and if anything about my beliefs comes up in an appropriate setting, I'll share my views, or correct misconceptions. But I'm not about to sit down on the first day and say "Hi, I'm Alex, and I'm Asatru".

Synnthetika

Like I said on the last question, I have no problem wearing a Thor's Hammer in plain view. I'll awnser questions if they come up, but I'll be a little more open about it the more I know someone.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff