Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Tuatha de Danann-Essay

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RedRoseSpiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:22 pm
I'm taking a world religion this semester and 1/3 of my grade is a paper with a very wide, general subject "Choose a topic and write about it", so i decided "hey, why not do something I know little about, the Tuatha de Danann." Great idea I know. So now I'm looking for historically accurate books and other sources. Any points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:45 pm
RedRoseSpiral
So now I'm looking for historically accurate books and other sources.
Source texts:
Book of Leinster would be a start.  

TeaDidikai

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:13 pm
If I'm not mistaken, Scorplett said that this site is fairly accurate on the subject, so it might be a good place to start as well.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:56 am
too2sweet
If I'm not mistaken, Scorplett said that this site is fairly accurate on the subject, so it might be a good place to start as well.

That site can be hit an miss, it's good in the sense that they have taken and cited tracts from the Leabor Gabhala, Dindshenchas etc. and made them searchable by topic, Deity or similar.

It's a good site to get the initial info, then trace the source.

The ultimate source for this sort of thing is at ucc.ie/celt
The CELT project has collated translations of the manuscripts from the Annals of the Four Masters, the Annals of Ulster, The Táin, The wooing of Eimear etc etc.
Another good site, though not likely to help much in such a project, is ISOS. You can get to ISOS by way of the RIA library website. The ISOS project has reprographic copies of most of the actual manuscripts. The Manuscripts range from 4th Century through to more modern times and are largely in Old Irish and Latin. If cross referencing for linguistic accuracy they can be difficult to follow as sentancing and paragraphing are a more modern thing so, in English, your looking at something like this

Thisishowthemanuscriptswerewrittenandnonebutthekeenesteyeandmostdedicatedreadercaneasilyreadthemevenasidefromthelanguagebarriers  

scorplett

Blessed Regular

6,600 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items