review: WD 357

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:15 am
Generally speaking this is the UK* / NE** version however seeing as the WD is written centrally the content will be the same in the US*** and OZ****.

* United Kingdom / England / Dear Old Blighty
** Northern Europe = Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and other countries able to speak and understand English because they don't dub everything they come across
*** United States / America / Yankee Town / The Good Ol' South
**** Oceania = Australia, New Zealand and other prison colonies of semi-importance

+ + +

What does the cover promise?
SPACE HULK, Waaagh! Azhag and Heroes of Catachan.

Most interesting is the spine of the mag, which instead of a quick contents list lists the following: + + I hear their call. Though they are not yet awake, the creatures beckon to their offspring. They know we are here. + +

Awesome.

Editorial?
Once again Mark Lantham is a poor man's Fat Bloke. However, in spirit of SPACE HULK most of his editorial is filled with Terminator chatter as seen above.

Brilliant.

Monthly Releases
SPACE HULK is the big release of the month. More on that later maybe.

We've also got Colonel "Iron n****e" Straken and Gunnery Sergeant "Jesse Ventura" Harker for 40k, while fantasy gets the much awaited and salivated over Azhag the Slaughterer and a fantasy basing kit with etched brass leafs and tubs of square base decoration. Hobby wise we get two new tubs of grass: dead grass and burnt grass.

Only two novels this month: EMPIRE by Graham McNeill, which is the second part in the already stellar Sigmar trilogy and Salamander by Nick Kyme, which appears to be a great new marine series in the making.

FW shows off the Blood Slaugterer.

News
Skaven are coming this NOVEMBER. New and old models will be brought in, some even say the Doomwheel and Vermin Lord will make a return.

New bitz packs:
- IG tank commander pack (three old OOP tank commanders)
- Aquila sprues
- Two new Direct Only Imperial Guard tank commanders

Misc. news:
- "Extreme Hobby" returns with WD asking people to send in pictures of you reading the WD in odd places. This issue: Everest base camp.

Articles
SPACE HULK, or as Dakka Dakka says, Spulk, or as Vikki says, Spunk. 39 pages of it to be precise. The wordy parts are rather silly in the beginning but when they get into the game itself things get interesting. You get a little background on the game, the contents, the design process and whatnot. Highlights are a two-pager with all twelve Terminators shown along with their names and a short description of what they do or what makes them special, a two-pager showing the history of SPACE HULK and a massive battle report detailing how the game works, what makes it tick and how things work out. Well worth a read.

Next up we have the conclusion of the campaign started last month. I was expecting more than just lots of pictures and "funny" anecdotes about Nancy the Hierophant. Big sad face from me. sad

Double Trouble, a tale about fantasy doubles tournaments and how two teams fared during it all. ******** is this? Wow. I'm seeing something that used to run in the WD a decade ago as standard fare. A fun article to read and one of those few pieces of proof that tournies can be fun.

HEROES of CATACHAN. Yeah.. that's about as good as it gets. Don't expect much from this one, as the words are copy-pasta descriptions from the codex, some pictures thrown in for flavour and Robin, the codex author, is handing out "tactics". Crap.

Waaagh! Azhag. A bit too short sadly, but a fun little background article with a nice short chapter on why you should field this model (as if the model itself isn't reason enough to field it!).

Clash of Champions, a bat-rep between Orcs, Gobbos and Dark Elves. Best part of this all is that the battle is fought by two regular Joes, not a bunch of Studio smarties. Okay, Joes is a bit rude, seeing as both are Tournie goers, so it promises to be a good match. And. It. Is.

Somewhat surprising the Standard Bearer of this month is quite good. Egad! What the ********?! Yes. Part of it is about battle types and the narrative and scenarios while the other part is a nice new Warhammer Fantasy scenario based on one written by the great Nigel Stillman. Don't worry kids, 40k and War of the Ring will get their own custom battlefield challenges in future issues.

NEXT MONTH
Space Wolves and how to use Heroes in Fantasy games. There's also something about War of the Ring but like ******** am I going to bother with that tripe.

Verdict?
I actually enjoyed this issue. While yes, most of it was SPACE HULK oriented it was a good read, despite the heavy bias. The Catachan article was s**t though, giving nothing new other than useless tactics from the codex author himself. The campaign conclusion was pretty useless and the fantasy bits were okay, hurrah for non-Studio involvement once more.

All in all one of the best in a while.

Buy it.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:59 am
ugh my subscription copy always takes forever to come in. Still waiting for it. sad  

Lord Thuddleton

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:04 am
It's well worth the wait. When we that issue he read it and kept his mouth shut the entire time, no nagging or nothing from him. blaugh  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:54 am
It could be a fluke, Space Hulk is a limited release and warrants only limited support. Though I am thoroughly surprised by the Fantasy content, most of it was done by non-Studio staff, which adds in a little random effect in my opinion.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Review Corner

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces