Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Ritual Dance Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:45 pm
maenad nuri
TeaDidikai

Someone mind telling me when the Visigoths took up belly dancing?

Modern goth aesthetic. Goth Fusion looks really cool, but I prefer smiling.

Lol My sentiments exactly. I'd prefer to feel something intensely happy like this woman at about 00:25-00:34.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:49 pm
demisara
I love the versatility of dance. It can be a primal thing, like fear or sex, that brings out the latent animal, but also a sophisticated performance or tool for meditation.

I really like this description. Belly dance can be very exacting in the beginning with all the isolations and drills, but I'd love to get to the point when it's all muscle memory so that I can just do it without thinking too much.  

Bastemhet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:00 pm
On a rather irrelevant note- Hubby and I signed up for Dance Lessons put on for free through our workplace.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:58 pm
The closest I come to anything like a ritual dance is movement meditation and tai chi... I'm usually behind a drum during a drum circle, whereas my fiancee is all about getting up and dancing if she feels so compelled. I'd love to learn more about traditional Lithuanian dance though, as I can only imagine what that would look like while listening to various music from the region. Apparently it's actually really mellow compared to the music.  

Ainwyn

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:00 pm
TeaDidikai
On a rather irrelevant note- Hubby and I signed up for Dance Lessons put on for free through our workplace.

What kind of dance, Tea?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:01 pm
Ainwyn
The closest I come to anything like a ritual dance is movement meditation and tai chi... I'm usually behind a drum during a drum circle, whereas my fiancee is all about getting up and dancing if she feels so compelled. I'd love to learn more about traditional Lithuanian dance though, as I can only imagine what that would look like while listening to various music from the region. Apparently it's actually really mellow compared to the music.

What other kind of movement meditation do you do? What kind of drum do you play? I would really love to take up the Doumbek if I had the money.  

Bastemhet

Ainwyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:24 pm
Sophist
Ainwyn

What other kind of movement meditation do you do? What kind of drum do you play? I would really love to take up the Doumbek if I had the money.

I've just started experimenting with it, so I like to mix things up to see what's useful for me. Like I said, I really enjoy tai chi, and I studied anasara yoga for several years, so they find their way in a bunch. I'm really enjoying walking meditation though, and I do a lot of spinning when I have energy to burn and have the space. I just found the Dervish Society of America's website though... gotta check this out!

I don't have a drum yet, but my friends have a bunch, so it's usually whatever they're not using at the time. They have a couple of really big African drums that I LOVE using because I just love the feeling of sitting on them and having the sound totally overpower me. I'd love to make my own drum eventually (I have a friend who went to a workshop a while ago, but I'm not sure how often those things happen around me), and I'd love to get a prayer bowl one of these days.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:27 am
Sophist
TeaDidikai

What kind of dance, Tea?
Tango and East Coast Swing.  

TeaDidikai

Ainwyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:32 am
TeaDidikai
Sophist
TeaDidikai

What kind of dance, Tea?

YAY for Tango! I tried to teach my fiancee how to waltz the other day... that didn't turn out so well lol  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:52 pm
TeaDidikai
Sophist
TeaDidikai

What kind of dance, Tea?

Is East Coast swing the one where they flip the partner all around and up in the air? That's gotta be hectic. I don't do so well when my feet aren't on the ground.  

Bastemhet

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:58 pm
Ainwyn
Sophist
Ainwyn

I've just started experimenting with it, so I like to mix things up to see what's useful for me. Like I said, I really enjoy tai chi, and I studied anasara yoga for several years, so they find their way in a bunch. I'm really enjoying walking meditation though, and I do a lot of spinning when I have energy to burn and have the space. I just found the Dervish Society of America's website though... gotta check this out!

I don't have a drum yet, but my friends have a bunch, so it's usually whatever they're not using at the time. They have a couple of really big African drums that I LOVE using because I just love the feeling of sitting on them and having the sound totally overpower me. I'd love to make my own drum eventually (I have a friend who went to a workshop a while ago, but I'm not sure how often those things happen around me), and I'd love to get a prayer bowl one of these days.

I remember hearing a couple of the African drums before and liking them. The Doumbek has a little more of a crisp sound. Check this out, maybe you'll like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuL7AP8JCtU&feature=PlayList&p=774083AF18537D8D

I love how prayer bowls sound but I can never get them to sing for me. confused  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:17 pm
Sophist

I remember hearing a couple of the African drums before and liking them. The Doumbek has a little more of a crisp sound. Check this out, maybe you'll like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuL7AP8JCtU&feature=PlayList&p=774083AF18537D8D

I love how prayer bowls sound but I can never get them to sing for me. confused

It took me a little bit to get used to them, but I had to play one in a piece that our composition professor wrote last year, so I've had good practice 3nodding My suggestion is to get someone who knows what they're doing to show you how to hold your hand and move the... thingy that moves. Then just use it a lot and you'll get used to how it feels.  

Ainwyn

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces