Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Growing Food

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MedicAudino

Sparkly Healer

10,550 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:42 am
I love fresh vegetables, going to the Farmers' Market is one of the greatest joys I get. So, since I love fresh things so much I tried growing my own vegetation. I planted some flower seeds and some pumpkin and squash plants...

Sadly even though we own the land right outside of our condo the association tried to get rid of it. After a minor battle involving everyone in my building going against the corporation we won the right to our flowers and veggies =) Then some a*****e decided to come in the middle of the night and CUT the flowers down and kill the veggies :-[

So anyone here grow their own food? Ever have them get murdered by jerks? Evil rabbits find their way to your garden?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:44 am
Aw, why don't you try some fencing around it? That is what my Ma does, she grows pumpkins, peppers and squash in our backyard, the bunnies use to eat them until she put this little fence around and this fake animal in the pin, must had scared them off. rofl  

winter rat

MedicAudino

Sparkly Healer

10,550 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:59 am
It's a condo complex... We can't put any structures :< Hell I just had a ring of "no bird" tape around it and they tried fining me for "putting up a structure" D:  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:53 am
Geeze! They sound like complete buttheads! you probably should move your garden inside. If you have an unused room with plenty of lighting move them in there. get HUGE pots to put the dirt in and such.
They can say no pets, they can say no structures but what can they say about a few "indoor plants"?
3nodding  

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Lady Callie G

8,900 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:23 pm
Inside garden sounds like the way to go! We always grow a garden every year, but the animals mostly eat it. I guess that's OK because I live in the desert and there isn't much food around here to begin with.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:41 pm
We've been growing our own tomatoes 3nodding  

-PinkTasmik-

Magnetic Explorer

7,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250

irishcocoa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:11 am
We can plant a garden in my area (renting a duplex), but we can't afford fencing and we have too many dogs and cats running around who would get into it and kill the veggies >.<

Try getting a one shelf shelving unit and putting it near a window. Several, actually. So you can put them in a room that's being used, but can still get fresh veggies.  
Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games