Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Photographing your models, tips and tricks

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Isis47470

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:43 am
I seen another post similar to this, I posted this a few years ago in another guild but think it might help some of this guilds members. Enjoy!

Ok, I know we all love to show off our awesome models but how many know how to take a good picture ? I'll list a few tips for taking photos with your pc web cams and digital still cameras. I know most of you don't have a regular digital Camera available to you so PC web cams are what you have to work with. It's trickier with a web cam but not impossible. if you do get a chance to get a Digital camera don't settle for the Wal mart special for $20. The key term is Mega Pixels. Any where from 3-4 MP will give you crisp clear pictures. The more Mega Pixels the better your picture will be. Most web cams are designed for video capture, the still capture feature just happens to be sort of a perk. Cell phone cameras are popular now also for picture taking, how ever they rarely have good close up quality unless you know a few tricks!

I have tried a lot of different ways to take pictures of teeny, tiny, little things so I am happy to try to help.

1) The back drop.
This is very important. Most of the times cameras try to focus on a point in a frame. That will determine weather your shot is in focus or out. If your camera is focused on the background your figure will be fuzzy and a lot of times it's also just to darn close to the camera. Using white copy paper make a back drop to photograph you model against, make sure the white paper becomes the back ground and floor. This ensures the camera will focus on a clear object.

2) Lighting.
Again very important. Most pc web cams and cell phones do not do well in low light. Nor most regular digital still cameras either. Goose neck desk lamps are great for this. You can clip them to the table and arch them over your figures. Try to make the light as even as possible over your model this will help eliminate dark or shadowy spots or bright lens flares.. Also every pc web cam comes with software. USE IT ! You CAN adjust the setting of how the camera will take the picture. You can even adjust the focus. My web cam is 12 years old and it has these features.

3) Types of bulb colors.
I find better results with the GE reveal bulbs or a cool white bulb. Soft white are what most lamp bulbs are and they tend to have a pink or yellow tinge to them. Cool white has more of a blue-ish color. Of coarse if you have a model painted with more reds the soft will do well to help the color where as a cool light will dull it down. In this example I chose not to use the same lamp when I took those pictures and you can see the difference

User Image
User Image

4) Focus.
A steady camera is key, no matter how steady you think your hand is, it's not. This problem will make pictures seem distorted and fuzzy. For pc web cams place it on a flat hard surface for picture taking. For digital stills, most come with a tripod nut at the bottom. If you have a tripod use it. If not you can set your camera down on a box or something to prop it up to the right height, for cell phone users all I can say is try your best or use the box and click method. With the pic above you can see that the bolt pistol is slightly out of focus, in this case the camera was too close to the model, zooming out or moving the camera back generally fixes this.

Again your camera has settings USE THEM ! If you have never seen them before now would be a good time to look for them. They are probably called either Settings, Options or Preferences. The common settings to find are Brightness, Contrast and Focus. You may also find Saturation, shutter speed or a Megapixel setting. Always have the Megapixel setting if you have one set to the best it can go. This also helps with having a clear picture. Remember, The Bigger the Megapixel the better the pic will be.

"But I don't know what these settings do..." BUTTON MASH PEOPLE ! We have been doing it for years with video games, it's same difference here. Click it, see what it dose. Then, after your done click restore defaults. It's the best way to learn.

Hope this helps!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:41 pm
Example of what one of these photo setups looks like. This is my old one; I used a light softened by fabric clipped over it, a -large- sheet of white paper, and just set my camera on the desktop to stabilize it.

Hint: use the timer when you take photos. The act of pressing the button often causes the camera to rock.

Another hint: avoid using the flash at all costs. It takes away all the shadow/natural light dynamics away, which is why models look so different from what they actually do when photos are taken that way.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Necron_Pariah

1,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:46 pm
Well i dont have a fancy min booth for my photos but i have found that when using a camera phone (all of my mini pics where taken with my phone) tend to come out very well when you place a white piece of paper on (in my case) the desktop and place a black surface (mousepad bottom) aginst the monitor and use natural daylight from my window to light the model i think it gives a beautiful shot of the mini.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games