Reply Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}
Resurrecting "Is the Bible Appropriate for Children" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ferret658

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:46 am
I see.....but do you think that kids will understand that? I say let them read it and if they ask say, "That's how mommy/daddy and I made you."

Then they'll walk around wondering how mommy and daddy made them with goats and mountains and whatnot. rofl  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:06 pm
ferret658
I see.....but do you think that kids will understand that? I say let them read it and if they ask say, "That's how mommy/daddy and I made you."

Then they'll walk around wondering how mommy and daddy made them with goats and mountains and whatnot. rofl

Kids should know what sex is and where babies come from anyway. Kids should understand the basic mechanics of sex and that it's meant for a loving relationship. If my child read the Song of Solomon (or any other part of the Bible involving sex) I would certainly answer any questions they had for me. I'd be happy they were reading the Bible on their own!

Granted, when they were younger I probably wouldn't be doing a whole lot of reading them the Song of Solomon, not necessarily because it's inappropriate, but because it's not relevant to them in that time of life. Song of Solomon is much more relevant to people who are in relationships and are dealing with sex. To children, basic stories of morality and God's love are much more relevant. Whenever you're teaching the Bible to anyone, you always need to remember your target audience and make sure the message speaks to them.

That being said, by the time they start getting in the 10-13 range, I wouldn't be opposed to them reading Song of Solomon. That was the first time I read it, and it didn't scare or traumatize me. It also teaches them sex is something to be valued, and that an important lesson since kids are having sex younger and younger these days.

freelance lover
Crew

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:06 pm
ferret658

Is that really any more confusing than birds and bees? mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:04 am
The Amazing Ryuu
ferret658

*epic announcer voice* Will the bird eat the bee? Will the bee sting the bird in the neck and kill it? How do two different species make humans? Tune in next week to witness the shocking conclusion.  

ferret658

Atreadia Allaani

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:11 am
ferret658
The Amazing Ryuu
ferret658

*epic announcer voice* Will the bird eat the bee? Will the bee sting the bird in the neck and kill it? How do two different species make humans? Tune in next week to witness the shocking conclusion.
xd

My parents told me about sex long before the school taught sex ed. I always thought it was hilarious that my peers thought I didn't know about it.

Ah! But my mom was a nurse, and you can't help but have a sex ed. talk at the age of seven when you are asking your mom all about the baby photos in the woman on page 234 of her nursing text book...  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:54 am
Atreadia Allaani
ferret658
The Amazing Ryuu
ferret658

xd

My parents told me about sex long before the school taught sex ed. I always thought it was hilarious that my peers thought I didn't know about it.

Ah! But my mom was a nurse, and you can't help but have a sex ed. talk at the age of seven when you are asking your mom all about the baby photos in the woman on page 234 of her nursing text book...

Lol you actually remembered the page number?
Haha i remeber on page 71 in my freshman Biology book, there was a picture of a snake eating a live rat and the rat has this look on it's face like, "What did i get mysef into?!" rofl  

ferret658

Atreadia Allaani

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:47 am
ferret658
Atreadia Allaani
ferret658
The Amazing Ryuu
ferret658

xd

Lol you actually remembered the page number?
Haha i remeber on page 71 in my freshman Biology book, there was a picture of a snake eating a live rat and the rat has this look on it's face like, "What did i get mysef into?!" rofl
LOL... I remember the page, because the next few pages were color inserts on bangages and the embryotic/fetal cycle.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:18 am
...Um...yeah, that could do it, haha!  

ferret658

Priestley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:49 pm
An important rule for child development is that children generally need guidance of more knowledgable and responsible people. That demands dialogue, co-operation, teaching, learning, bonding and everything else inbetween.

When it comes to the Bible, there is no reason for that rule to go out of the window. While Jesus laid the cards on the table and told it like it is so that many people could understand the character and nature of God, how they should behave and so forth, the Bible in general is not a grocery list of acceptable actions and behaviours for a human being, nor should it be given to them as such -- there are some atrocious acts in it. It's a guidebook from a father/caretaker to a child to encourage a relationship between them. You should give it to children the same way and with the same intention.

Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff