Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
C & C Please - Human Anatomy

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jellicle Moon

Shameless Exhibitionist

10,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:49 am

Hey everyone,

Well I just got my first tablet a couple days ago - and despite not being able to make pressure sensitive strokes (nudge nudge hint hint), I decided that I'm going to start drawing people.

Long story short, I draw adorable fuzzy things. I want to draw elegant smooth things. Usually, I'm just a wildlife artist, but I'd like to toss people onto my list of things that I don't run screaming from.

This is one of the first people I've ever drawn, wtih my new tablet, and I need help. I don't want to go developing any habits or things that I shouldn't.

So, after looking at a few stock photos, and a couple of "how to for beginners" guides, I came up with this girl. I'm never going to finish her. She was drawn to live in my little file of crap that only I will ever see. However, I think I would like some input on this.

User Image

Any help is appreciated. Rip this apart for me, will you?

Edit: I know her left arm is fat. Just... pretend that isn't there. I got too tired of battling with my tablet to change it.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:27 pm

To start her head is too big for her body and her shoulders are uneaven. It would also help to add some creases to the clothes in order to make it look less skin tight.

Bubblegum_Paint

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:57 pm

In addition to what Bubblegum said:

Her breasts are too high and too angular, as well as slightly off-center, along with her head. (or, alternately, one of her shoulders is shorter than the other)

One of her eyes is differently-shaped than the other, which would look fine in a more realistic style, as humans aren't symmetrical, but it looks odd in such a simplified style. The curve of her nose should be higher; just under her eyebrows, as opposed to level with the bottom of her eyes. Also, I promise you faithfully, unless she plucks her eyebrows weird, it is physically impossible to have one's eyebrows in that shape.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:50 pm

I actually like your drawing.
The proportions are off here and there (not much, just a couple of corrections) but it's pretty good for a first drawing on tablet. You just have to work on your proportion and work on making it look less stiff.

Practicing gesture drawing is one way to loosen up the stiffness from your drawings. It can also help with proportions and balance too. Anyway, keep practicing. smile

Tai-ji

5,925 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items