Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}
Let the God who answers by fire, let him be God.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Atreadia Allaani

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:49 am
I was looking on Youtube again today, and one of the songs that was listed on my homepage was "Sending the Fire". I don't know if you have ever heard it, but it has a good message.

I Kings 18: 21 and 22

And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word. Then said Elijah unto the people, I, even I only, remain a prophet of the LORD; but Baal's prophets are four hundred and fifty men.

Elijah stood alone against the prophets of Baal. Gathered around them were the Children of Israel, who had fallen to idolatry through the example of their king and his house. Elijah was there because God sent him to show the Children of Israel that Baal was nothing compared to Him.

I Kings 18:23-26

Let them therefore give us two bullocks; and let them choose one bullock for themselves, and cut it in pieces, and lay it on wood, and put no fire under: and I will dress the other bullock, and lay it on wood, and put no fire under: And call ye on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the LORD: and the God that answereth by fire, let him be God. And all the people answered and said, It is well spoken. And Elijah said unto the prophets of Baal, Choose you one bullock for yourselves, and dress it first; for ye are many; and call on the name of your gods, but put no fire under. And they took the bullock which was given them, and they dressed it, and called on the name of Baal from morning even until noon, saying, O Baal, hear us. But there was no voice, nor any that answered. And they leaped upon the altar which was made.

The contest was struck between God and the prophets of Baal. Let the god who answers by fire be God. Elijah offered them a way to prove their god was the True God, and let them take as long as they needed to. But no matter what they did, they didn't get an answer.

Now Elijah, knew what was going to happen. He had a relationship with God. He didn't know all the hows and whys, but he knew God. He knew Baal wouldn't answer, so he egged the prophets on a bit. "Hey!" he called. "Maybe you need to cry out a little louder. Maybe it is that your god is busy with a conversation, or perhaps he is asleep... It could also be true that he is on a long journey, and cannot hear you."

The prophets answered Elijah's taunts with more ferver, but come the time of the Evening Sacrifice, Elijah called a halt to their machinations.

I Kings 18:30-35

And Elijah said unto all the people, Come near unto me. And all the people came near unto him. And he repaired the altar of the LORD that was broken down. And Elijah took twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob, unto whom the word of the LORD came, saying, Israel shall be thy name: And with the stones he built an altar in the name of the LORD: and he made a trench about the altar, as great as would contain two measures of seed. And he put the wood in order, and cut the bullock in pieces, and laid him on the wood, and said, Fill four barrels with water, and pour it on the burnt sacrifice, and on the wood. And he said, Do it the second time. And they did it the second time. And he said, Do it the third time. And they did it the third time. And the water ran round about the altar; and he filled the trench also with water.

Elijah doused the wood with fire, and filled the trench with water for the sole purpose of proving without a doubt that the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob was the God of the Children of Israel. Yes, it was grand standing and mud in the eye of the prophets who had exhausted themselves pleading with Baal to show himself as the supreme god.

I Kings 18:36 and 37

And it came to pass at the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near, and said, LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that thou art God in Israel, and that I am thy servant, and that I have done all these things at thy word. Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that thou art the LORD God, and that thou hast turned their heart back again.

Elijah's next action was simple compared to all that had come before. He prayed. He prayed a prayer of restoration. A plea for the people to remember the God who had brought their forefathers out of Egypt, and led them to a land of milk and honey.

And God answered with Fire. The flames devoured not only the sacrifice, but the altar, and the water in the trench. The people saw, bowed, and repented, saying "The LORD, He is God!"

Beyond all doubt, we are sitting in a crossroads like Elijah. The church is falling into sin, and creating new ways to persuade people that there are many paths to heaven. We have blatant untruths preached as gospel in our churches, and ministers who cannot even obey the commandment against adultery.

How long will we as a church be of two minds?

How long will we let things continue as they are?

Where are the Davids? Where are the Jonathans? The Gideans? The Elijahs?

Who is going to take up the blood stained banner of Christ, and proclaim the Gospel without shame, fear, or wavering?

Will it be you?

Oh God, I pray for a generation of Elijahs.
I pray for a generation who does not have to hang their heads in shame over the Gospel of Christ.
I pray for a generation of men and women who are willing to call the Church back into repentance.
I pray for men and women who will call the Church back to God.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:57 am
What if God has not called them into doing these things yet? We have to wait and pray and see what God calls us to do and then do it. I'm waiting to hear what He has to tell me. mrgreen  

ferret658

Atreadia Allaani

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:48 am
ferret658
What if God has not called them into doing these things yet? We have to wait and pray and see what God calls us to do and then do it. I'm waiting to hear what He has to tell me. mrgreen

Believe me, there are those who are ready, who are determined to change the world. By all means, pray. By all means, seek the will of God. But God is calling right now for those who will listen.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:45 am
Atreadia Allaani
ferret658

Believe me, there are those who are ready, who are determined to change the world. By all means, pray. By all means, seek the will of God. But God is calling right now for those who will listen.

He's always done that....What is He saying to you...?  

ferret658

Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff