Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Eizoryu's Arts - I can has C&C please? :3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eizoryu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:22 pm

Konnichiwa to all. *bows* I'm Eizoryu, Eizo for short, and I'm primarily a digital Anthro artist. Which means I cater to and draw the oh-so-dreaded Furry. *fake gasp* *chuckle*
My lame attempt at humor aside, I know y'all are more mature than that. Down to business; I'm still learning a lot of things and I love help. :3

My dA is here.
I work mostly in CS3 and Illustrator anymore, and I've been drawing with a purpose since '04/'05, when I first drew my namesake OC as an anthro. Since then I've been dying to improve in any way that I can. I have no formal training other than what they make you take in high school and below.

In no particular order, here are some of my known weak points:
- Backgrounds
- Lighting/Shading
- HUMANS. Period.
- Anatomy/Proportions
- Cloth/Armor
- Weaponry
- Perspective and Foreshortening
- Mood
- Dynamics

Anything else, point it out! I'm generally a laid-back person and I won't attack you as long as you don't attack me. :3
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:31 pm

This will be for what I'm currently working on. Most likely will be commissions of the Gaia and RL varieties.

Information: This is an entry for a contest over on dA to create a member of a race called Nivvixians. They are an anthropomorphic bug race. This is my Assassin, based off the common Praying Mantis.

Concerns/Issues: Perspective. Am I doing it right for this angle? What I'm trying to do is one of those dramatic badass shots that you see in anime; angled camera, looking up from one's belly on the ground. I get the feeling his head is too big for this angle shot, though.

Current WIP
User Image

Previous States

Eizoryu

Eizoryu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:40 pm

This will be for finished images. Mostly linked out to my dA, maybe my FA, except for recently finished pictures that were in my WIP post. I can't change any of them, but I can certainly keep advice in mind. ^^

Recent Completion:
User Image

Older Pictures:
Space Battle Commish
Albino Eastern Dragon Commish
Taur Representation of Self
Realistic CG Paint - Great Gray Owl
Progress of 3 years: Now -> Then

Alternatively, you can check out my dA Portfolio for what I believe are my best works thus far.
DeviantART Portfolio
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:43 pm

Focusing on your current WIP:

You have a very solid background going on at the moment. It's sharp and precise, and the picture has plenty of action going on to keep it interesting. You've also pulled off a tricky lighting focus well. The hands and gun as well are very detailed, and he's got a very expressive gritting-of-teeth that translates all too well no matter the species.

For the lizard-man's anatomy, the first thing I see off is his chest. His right side looks shrunken compared to his left - adding more and rounding it to go with the perspective could help. If you're trying to make him scoot towards the wall, you may want to turn his right leg, toes and knee towards us. The lights shooting towards us look too transparent to be solid light - you might want to add some highlights to the center. As well, especially on his right side you may want to add highlight to make him look less like flat background and draw focus to him. The right thumbnail also looks awkward, and I'm not quite sure what/if he's holding something - if it's a grenade, I'd imagine it would slip back and onto the ground with the way his fingers are open.

Definitely a good piece in the works, and could make an interesting flash game from the looks of it.

the Caelos

Leadfooted Phantom

Eizoryu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:49 pm

Thanks, Kumi! :3 I really appreciate the crit.

Unfortunately, I really should have updated last night. The reason the lasers were so transparent is due to the fact that I was using them as placeholders until someone could check me on my perspective with them. As you may or may not be able to tell, I didn't get a lot of feedback at that stage; I just went with what looked right by my own personal checks. D:

And I've added the start of my shading and highlighting on the new image. *really wishing she had updated last night instead of just now*

On your points about his anatomy, I've always had trouble with armor, especially breastplates. It always makes itself look odd and I just say "Screw it" and move on. A habit I should probably kick. As for his right hand, yeah, he is supposed to be holding the grenade, and I'm trying to figure out how best to place my shading so that it portrays him pressing his hand against the wall just enough to hold the explosive in place.
On his leg, I tried to turn it just enough to portray him scooting in a diagonal line towards the wall. Succeeded? I have no idea.

Great points for the future, that's for sure. ^^ Thank you very much!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:35 pm

While I'm still working on the picture under my current WIP, I've also started on an entry for a dA-based commtest (community project+contest) held by a friend. It's not due till November, so I have plenty of time to work with it.

The object of the commtest is to portray an alien creature based off insects of our choosing in order to build a race, known as of now as Nivvix or Nivvixians.
This one is a Nivvixian Assassin, based on the praying mantis. Stylization aside, how's my perspective? I want this thing to look badass, to better pay homage to a predator that seems just perfect for the job of assassin.
The doodles there in the corner are my notes on how they look from the usual anatomy diagram perspective.
User Image

Eizoryu

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:12 am

Wow,. you're really good at perspective, I can't really crit anything just yet, but I would like to learn your technique for perspective in the mentor thread <3
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:56 pm

x3 Thanks, Raeyu, but I don't feel confident enough in perspective to really teach it. ^^; All my knowledge there is very basic and about 3 years old.

Eizoryu

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:33 pm

Eizoryu
x3 Thanks, Raeyu, but I don't feel confident enough in perspective to really teach it. ^^; All my knowledge there is very basic and about 3 years old.

Awwww gonk I know noting of perspective except with drawing buildings.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:54 am

If your focusing on a cartoonish style then your really good biggrin

ACDC1551

Eizoryu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:00 pm

New arts!

Recently finished that one WIP that I had up for the longest time. It looks better in a smaller version, but for what it is, it looks pretty good. It did what I wanted it to do, which was make my friend, who owns the big gray character, happy.

Big thing I need to work on: Smoothing my shadows and making a lot of my shadows darker. I work on a screen that looks much darker from the angle I see it than what it is.
The streaky shading works for him, notsomuch for my character, the bat anthro.

My excuse is the fact that a full moon's light is filtering down through the shattered ceiling of an abandoned church. x3
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:17 pm

Hey there,

I think you did a good job with the most recent work. smile It's pretty dynamic and exciting to look at. The lighting is also really striking and the background and use of color for emphasis is also working well.

I think the parts that I'd have slight problems with would be... yeah, the typical "anatomy" stuff. The anthro figure (um... the one wearing the suit) looks fine to me for the most part. I love the shoes, for some reason. XD Only thing is just the sword... when I first saw it, I thought they were getting stabbed. D: I know you drew it sticking out the other end, but just the angle seems a little off to me somehow.

The big bad fellow is well draw too. The veins are a nice edition, though they could maybe be "outlined" less. The other thing would be to work on muscle structures. I think you got it mostly correct, bt maybe some parts are a little patchy. Um.... and then there's something a little bit off about the angle of the neck/shoulders. It feels like his head is off center from the rest of his body. Does that make any sense, I wonder? Lastly, I'd just mention about the big guy's hand. It feels like his fingers don't have enough foreshortening as they get farther away, which makes them big and puffy as opposed to muscular and strong. Hands are hard though... sad I wouldn't worry too much.

Anyhow... good job. biggrin I'm sure it took awhile. The finished product turned out pretty well, in my opinion.

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items