Eve eats the fruit.
The fruit is yummy.
Eve turns to Adam.
Adam eats the fruit.
God gets angry.
Adam blames Eve.
Eve blames snake.
God curses them all.

- Paraphrased version of Genesis 3:1-19.

If you read the whole passage, right about where I said Eve gives Adam the fruit, Eve turns to Adam! He was right there! He watched her eat the fruit that God commanded them not to eat! What was he thinking?! He could've stepped in and said, "Hey! What are you doing, woman?! We can't eat that! God said not to!" BUT HE DIDN'T!

I'm just saying that Adam had to be watching her while she did the whole she-bang. He must have heard the snake talking, right? Why didn't he step in? What a poopstick! crying  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:34 am
Yay buckpassing and human's nature to pass the blame onto someone other than themselves!

That being said, I don't think the creation stories are literal, so my point is kind of null and void on this. I think they're allegorical for the fall of man, so while man did fall from sinlessness in some way, it probably wasn't exactly like we read in the creation story.

I don't think Eve was an experiment either. I think God realize a planet full of men would probably lead to large explosion and/or giant piles of dirty laundry. Women, in many ways generally balance out man's nature. It's like God says in the Garden of Eden- it is not good for man to be alone. People need an intimate partner at some time int their life, and God was realizing this.

freelance lover
Crew

ferret658

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:28 am
How could you not take it literally? I mean, it's the story of how God did it....It's like He thought, "They're gonna ask how I did it, so I better tell them. I mean, I know they won't believe me, but I'll tell them the truth anyway." lol  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:14 am
Have you ever read "Captivating" or "Wild at Heart"? Those books both address alot of Adam and Eve and how their choices affected the rest of the human race. At any rate, what you see in this specific instance is exactly what you see today in society. Women turning to their men and expecting them to be men, and instead finding complacency and the compulsion to just sit back while stuff happens. Men are meant to take the lead and be spiritual heads (as is expressed in the NT as well)- Adam failed that test here. He had direct instructions from God regarding the Tree. So far as we know, Adam had only mentioned it to Eve, and while she is definitely at fault for disobeying God, Adam heard the command straight from God's mouth- he had no excuse. And yet he sat there and allowed it to happen. Men still do this. Men have a calling to lead and follow the more authoritative nature of God, but society has told them to sit back and be women, to not take any sort of lead at all, that women can be men just as easily as men can be men.

This, of course, is just the issue in a nutshell. I mean no offense to any women who want to be in leadership positions, because I'm not implying that women can't lead at all, but there are roles men are meant to play, and roles women are meant to play.

Seriously, read those two books. John Eldridge and Stacey Eldridge.

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Atreadia Allaani

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:01 pm
ferret658
Snake tempts Eve.
Eve eats the fruit.
The fruit is yummy.
Eve turns to Adam.
Adam eats the fruit.
God gets angry.
Adam blames Eve.
Eve blames snake.
God curses them all.

- Paraphrased version of Genesis 3:1-19.

If you read the whole passage, right about where I said Eve gives Adam the fruit, Eve turns to Adam! He was right there! He watched her eat the fruit that God commanded them not to eat! What was he thinking?! He could've stepped in and said, "Hey! What are you doing, woman?! We can't eat that! God said not to!" BUT HE DIDN'T!

I'm just saying that Adam had to be watching her while she did the whole she-bang. He must have heard the snake talking, right? Why didn't he step in? What a poopstick! crying
You will notice the first excuse in the Bible for sinning was .... "She forced me to". Kind of sounds similar to that old excuse, "The Devil Made Me Do It".  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:32 am
ferret658
How could you not take it literally? I mean, it's the story of how God did it....It's like He thought, "They're gonna ask how I did it, so I better tell them. I mean, I know they won't believe me, but I'll tell them the truth anyway." lol

In case you haven't been able to tell by now, I take almost none of the Bible at face value. I do not take either of the creation stories literally. I think they are metaphorical.

The two creation stories are largely contradictory. In the first one God created man last, after the animals, and in the second one God created man before the animals. (Fun fact: the sequence in which things are created in the first story is almost identical to what science says happened.) Also, no one was around to write down these stories when they happened. They were probably passed down for centuries orally before written down, and then they were copied and recopied and translated and translated again.

I also don't really care if God created the world in seven twenty-four hour days. A "day" could have been a million years- I couldn't care less. The point of these stories is that God created the world with love. We are his creation. He gave us perfection, and we ultimately screwed it up. I think that is the point of the stories. Most cultures have creation stories that were never meant to be taken literally, and some scholars think even the Israelite wouldn't have taken these stories literally.

freelance lover
Crew

ferret658

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:41 pm
freelance lover
ferret658

In case you haven't been able to tell by now, I take almost none of the Bible at face value. I do not take either of the creation stories literally. I think they are metaphorical.

The two creation stories are largely contradictory. In the first one God created man last, after the animals, and in the second one God created man before the animals. (Fun fact: the sequence in which things are created in the first story is almost identical to what science says happened.) Also, no one was around to write down these stories when they happened. They were probably passed down for centuries orally before written down, and then they were copied and recopied and translated and translated again.

I also don't really care if God created the world in seven twenty-four hour days. A "day" could have been a million years- I couldn't care less. The point of these stories is that God created the world with love. We are his creation. He gave us perfection, and we ultimately screwed it up. I think that is the point of the stories. Most cultures have creation stories that were never meant to be taken literally, and some scholars think even the Israelite wouldn't have taken these stories literally.

....i see.....*scratches fake goatee*  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:49 pm
I attribute the first sin mainly to Adam, than I do to Eve. Adam heard the commandment directly, while Eve did not. Adam was also right next to her, and like you said, he did not stop her.

If you look closer at Genesis 3:17-19, God blames Adam for Eve's sin, since Eve is defined as being her helper; taking care of Eve is a part of Adam's duty, and he failed to do so.

I cannot remember where this is (I just remember hearing of it in a sermon) that God views a man who does not take care of his wife and children lower than a man who is not a believer.  

comfylove

ferret658

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:47 pm
comfortably_dumb
I attribute the first sin mainly to Adam, than I do to Eve. Adam heard the commandment directly, while Eve did not. Adam was also right next to her, and like you said, he did not stop her.

If you look closer at Genesis 3:17-19, God blames Adam for Eve's sin, since Eve is defined as being her helper; taking care of Eve is a part of Adam's duty, and he failed to do so.

I cannot remember where this is (I just remember hearing of it in a sermon) that God views a man who does not take care of his wife and children lower than a man who is not a believer.

I don't know how to respond to this....um....*thumbs up* lol You rock for siding with me....? *unsure*  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:06 pm
ferret658
comfortably_dumb

I don't know how to respond to this....um....*thumbs up* lol You rock for siding with me....? *unsure*
Sorry if that... didn't add anything. sweatdrop  

comfylove

ferret658

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:00 am
comfortably_dumb
ferret658
comfortably_dumb

The last part about the man who doesn't care for his wife and children thing did add to Biblical knowledge.
*gasp* that sounds a lot like my father! Lol he's worse than an uncircumcised Philistine! That's great! rofl  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:20 am
ferret658
comfortably_dumb
ferret658
comfortably_dumb

The last part about the man who doesn't care for his wife and children thing did add to Biblical knowledge.
*gasp* that sounds a lot like my father! Lol he's worse than an uncircumcised Philistine! That's great! rofl
That is my father as well, and after 20 years, I highly doubt he's repented for it, or even entertained the idea for repenting of his sins concerning his fathering.  

comfylove

ferret658

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:26 am
comfortably_dumb
ferret658
comfortably_dumb
ferret658
comfortably_dumb

That is my father as well, and after 20 years, I highly doubt he's repented for it, or even entertained the idea for repenting of his sins concerning his fathering.

Right about now, I'm not concerning myself with my father's salvation. I'm still really mad at him.

Right before I fell away from God, I heard that verse that says God will be a Father to the fatherless. That touched me, so I started calling Him Daddy (Amazing how i was calling Him Daddy before I knew the meaning of Abba...)  
Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games