Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Muscle practice, crits please?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:36 pm

User Image
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:33 am

Your drawings looks good anatomically, you also got some of the more obvious muscles pencilled out. Studying the human body will help you improve on your muscle studies. ^^

I'm currently learning about muscles as well in my drawing classes and we are asked to study the muscles in the body and naming it after we have drawn them out. You could try drawing out the body then overlaying tracing paper over it to draw the muscles over it based on your drawing.

It helps a lot to identify where the muscles are and what function they have so when the body twists or moves you know exactly which muscles are being pulled etc.

The models we draw in class are more muscular and that allows us to see the muscles more clearly. Also the the six pack in your drawing is better seen if your character is more muscular. I tried to add in a bit more to the form, but am currently learning muscles as well so might be slightly inaccurate.
User Image

Usually at the side view the person's back is covered by the hand otherwise the person would look too skinny. Using references when drawing muscles would help a lot too.

chilicharlie

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:50 am

nice crit chilicharlie but there are a few slight errors
User Image

the delt is too big and the bicep is shaped incorrectly

keep in mind the mass distribution of the mass of the muscles. it is distributed in the way of the blue line

keep in mind the way you draw the delt to pec area you over drew the line of delt to pec. if anything the pec should be going into the arm not he other way around
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:06 am

Oops, I think I need to study more on the muscles of the arm and how they all connect together.

Thanks for correctly the mistakes. ^^ Will take note of them next time.

chilicharlie

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:40 pm

Thank you both!
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out