7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:57 pm
The Amazing Ryuu
Grilled Cheese
Is it because it distorts God's plan for the types of relationships we should have with our family?

I think that's a big part of it, yes. Once you have sex with someone, ANYONE, your whole dynamic with them changes. A family is like a small community (or at least it's suppsed to be), with love and respect all around. If you read through the list of forbidden relatives, it says usually says something like 'do not have sex with your sister-in-law, for you have dishonored your brother.' Sex with relatives, even by marriage, seems to be less about genetic issues and more about respect.

Most families usually tend to look at inbreeding as weird and taboo, so you could also find yourself being shunned, or just outright unwelcome in certain homes or family functions. If you're romantically involved with a cousin, his/her parents might feel the same way. Otherwise you'll have to hide the relationship, which isn't easy nor healthy.

What happens if you break up? You're still related, so you'll probably still occasionally have to see each other. If the relationship has progressed to the sexual stage, it's even harder of a breakup, and even more awkward of a reunion.

Took the words right out of my mouth Ryuu.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:02 pm
Omega Navi
I understand that sex can seem like a harmless thing to enjoy, but it is not a spiritual thing.

Sex can be a very spiritual thing. Its purpose is not only to produce children, but to draw and husband and wife closer together- body and spirit. If you look at how our relationship with Jesus is meant to be, you'll notice that there are some sexual undertones. Our relationship with Him as His bride is initiated by our accepting of Him and His entering us, not only Spiritually, but physically, as He commands us to eat His body and drink His blood. We become the bride of Christ, complete with a wedding feast.

Quote:
No, God condemned his angels for mating with humans, didn't he? He also flooded the earth when they did so

When did angels mate with humans? eek

A few points I'd like to make:

- Not even animals will mate with siblings or litter mates if they can help it.

- You have to take marriage in its context if you're going to look at how things were done in the past. In the OT, marriage wasn't done because you loved someone, it was done because it would be beneficial to both families; both families would get property (either land, livestock, or the bride and her children, and whatever dowry she came with). Marriages were business transactions. Nothing would come of siblings marrying each other, because the father already owns both children.

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:16 am
Fushigi na Butterfly
In the OT, marriage wasn't done because you loved someone, it was done because it would be beneficial to both families; both families would get property (either land, livestock, or the bride and her children, and whatever dowry she came with). Marriages were business transactions. Nothing would come of siblings marrying each other, because the father already owns both children.

^ Agreed.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:06 am
Once again, someone took the words right out of my mouth, Fushigi this time.

I second that sex is a spiritual thing. Yes, it's fun and feel good, but sex is intimate and agree with Ryuu- sex changes the dynamic or a relationship and how you relate to a person.

I also agree with Fushigi on the marriage bit, and if you go back and reference the marriage thread in our archives, there's a much more complete discussion about marriage as it was in Biblical times and marriage as it has become today. George Bernard Shaw said that we need to understand marriage is not an unchangeable institution. It changes from culture to culture, time period to time period, generation to generation, and from religion to religion. It is not solid.

freelance lover
Crew

MatthewLovesChocolate123

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:15 pm
I think that marriage is suppose to come first, but first you need to have a good close relationship with the person you love. Which means that God wants us to study and learn more about the person that we love so much. I've been reading about God blessing Jacob with Four wives and he didn't do anything wrong. God let Jacob have sex with Leah, Rachel, and their maidservants so that they can have as many kids as they want. Right now you can only marry one woman/ man. I would marry my girlfriend when i get the chance. I will take my time and be patient. It's not right for men to rush woman with marriage. So tell me what you think about what i said! I know that Gay marriage is a big sin and shouldn't be aloud. Marriage is suppose to be, One man and one woman. So get that through you heads. Gay marriage is the wrong answer and always will be a sin against God's commandments and rules!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:30 pm
Betty Bowers explains traditional marriage.
While this video probably goes better in the marriage thread, it does have some points that are pertinent to the current situation. Enjoy. smile  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:57 am
Matthew82-62
I think that marriage is suppose to come first, but first you need to have a good close relationship with the person you love. Which means that God wants us to study and learn more about the person that we love so much. I've been reading about God blessing Jacob with Four wives and he didn't do anything wrong. God let Jacob have sex with Leah, Rachel, and their maidservants so that they can have as many kids as they want. Right now you can only marry one woman/ man. I would marry my girlfriend when i get the chance. I will take my time and be patient. It's not right for men to rush woman with marriage. So tell me what you think about what i said! I know that Gay marriage is a big sin and shouldn't be aloud. Marriage is suppose to be, One man and one woman. So get that through you heads. Gay marriage is the wrong answer and always will be a sin against God's commandments and rules!

Well, the main discussion here is incest and whether or not it's a sin, and while marriage does play some part in it, especially if we're talking sexual relationships, this thread really isn't about discussing opinions on marriage, straight or gay. Not sure if we still have a marriage thread open.

That's all I'm going to say about this. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:05 am
The marriage thread is in the archives.  

freelance lover
Crew

Priestley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:35 am
Fushigi na Butterfly
When did angels mate with humans? eek

I believe there is something in Genesis after the fall of Adam and Eve where the "sons of God" and the "daughters of man" get together, though I'm not sure whether the "sons of God" are angels or simply righteous men.  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff