Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
thought forms

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:51 pm
ok, what exactly IS a thought form?

i had never even heard of such before i joined the gaia guilds. no book i have ever read has covered this confused

i mean, i think i understand it, buuuut, yeah, i need a picture drawn for me sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:02 am
A thoughtform is a non physical entity given power by the focused willed thoughts of people.
This can be one in willingly, by summoning forth the will and offering it to the thoughtform by rote, ritual or some other mechanic or it can be done unknowingly, by sigil or less scrupulous means which (for obvious reasons) I'm not willing to go into.
Occasionally the thought form will be made to believe it is something other than it is and, as such, will approach people posing as it believes it is and as it is programmed to.

In the majority of out-of-caste closed-pantheon god devotees, I believe this to be the case. They have, collectively, created thoughtforms which they fuel with their belief.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:07 am
like creating a toaster 'god' or something?

(sorry, watching the brave little toaster, lol)  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:00 am
whiporwill-o
like creating a toaster 'god' or something?

(sorry, watching the brave little toaster, lol)

Sure.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:00 pm
This is slightly more in my area.

There is also a loose hierarchy in thought form creation.

Sigil > Servitor > Egregore > God form

The hierarchy is based on how autonomy you give the thought form, with god forms being completely free of any controller and sigils basically being one-time symbol uses.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:01 pm
True Colours of Destiny

The hierarchy is based on how autonomy you give the thought form, with god forms being completely free of any controller and sigils basically being one-time symbol uses.

okay blaugh umm..... what? confused

sweatdrop  

whiporwill-o

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:48 am
whiporwill-o
True Colours of Destiny

sweatdrop

Basically, most thought forms, in chaos magic, are used to serve a purpose, like an energy boost or a wish. Sigils and servitors aren't supposed to have much other "power" and are either one-time usage like sigils or only last a ony bit of time like servitors.

However, if you force enough energy and don't give strict orders to a thought form, there's a possibility that it may become an egregore. There is a silly thought and example for this and that Santa Claus may be an egregore because enough people around the world believe that he's real.

A god form is something that has utter free will and may demand to be worshipped. In chaos magic, one can choose to work with fictional beliefs, and that's how god forms, like Cthulu, are created. Or they may force themselves to become something like a Celtic god, who while they swore an oath only to be worshipped by the Celts, this thought form may appear to anyone.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:01 pm
True Colours of Destiny
whiporwill-o
True Colours of Destiny

sweatdrop

Basically, most thought forms, in chaos magic, are used to serve a purpose, like an energy boost or a wish. Sigils and servitors aren't supposed to have much other "power" and are either one-time usage like sigils or only last a ony bit of time like servitors.

However, if you force enough energy and don't give strict orders to a thought form, there's a possibility that it may become an egregore. There is a silly thought and example for this and that Santa Claus may be an egregore because enough people around the world believe that he's real.

A god form is something that has utter free will and may demand to be worshipped. In chaos magic, one can choose to work with fictional beliefs, and that's how god forms, like Cthulu, are created. Or they may force themselves to become something like a Celtic god, who while they swore an oath only to be worshipped by the Celts, this thought form may appear to anyone.

Oooohhhhh i think i get it now 3nodding thanks  

whiporwill-o

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:36 pm
True Colours of Destiny

Is this a gradient or a set of defined groups?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:08 pm
demisara
True Colours of Destiny

I would consider it to be more of a gradient.  

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:04 am
True Colours of Destiny
demisara
True Colours of Destiny

I would consider it to be more of a gradient.
I'm inclined to say both, depending on how the Chaos Magician crafts the being in question.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:15 pm
True Colours of Destiny

(Veering slightly off-topic) Sigils are sometimes used more than once, aren't they? (Or, perhaps, "Can't they be?")  

Nines19

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:45 pm
Nines19

(Veering slightly off-topic) Sigils are sometimes used more than once, aren't they? (Or, perhaps, "Can't they be?")
Some are used more than once. In fact, some sigils are used repeatedly to fuel the thoughforms.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games