Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Vlada. WIP, having a few issues

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Twilakam

5,800 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:34 am

I've been working on this image for a bit now, trying to take it slow and get it done with all the details that I wish for it to have. I'm having some issue with the hands and the jeans.

I think I may have the hands figured out, but I'm still struggling with the jeans, even after digging through various collections of reference... nothing seems to be setting up right.

User Image
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:51 am

Very good job on this, i really like the line art, your work is allmost spot on really. Its a very clean and cool piece of lineart. I think this will look pretty good when finished, what kind of scene are you trying to show?

Id say you where simply over thinking the hands and trousers, as in you though you needed to put lots of detail into the wrinkles, well you dont. You may feel you have to, but a wierd wrinkly mess can ruin a picture. To be honest at the line art stage you hardly have to worry about wrinkles, its best do them in the colouring stage.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The only thing you have to think about really with trousers is that theyre being pulled down, quite like a curtain, at the bottom the weight causes them to crumple. Because you character is female Id think her trousers would be quite tight, so position the trousers quite snugly around the thy.
Just think they go down. Unless theyre being directly pulled by somthing (wasit, knee, hand, car?).
I dont think the wrinkles in the knees would happen in real life, maybe though, but not as dominante as theyre shown.

Nonobotica

Twilakam

5,800 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:22 am

Hmm... that helps alot, really. :3 I admit that I'd been trying to do some rather baggy pants, but I like what you've done here.

As for the type of image... it actually started as a character concept sketch for my co-author... As I'm trying to work on paying attention to details I might attempt to do a minimal bit of scenery, but I don't anticipate including much more than I have.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:27 pm

*whistles a tune* I've settled on the hands, finally. I'll clean up her left later. Don't mind the massive quantities of grey. I get distracted fairly easily, and was mapping out shading. I also began mapping out jewelry.

Thanks for you help, Nono, I think the pants will come along in a cinch after this. ;3

User Image

Twilakam

5,800 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:48 am

Looks good. My only concerns are that:

1) Her anatomy looks like it's expanding as you move down the drawing.
2) Her hair looks more like wires than a long, soft body that is connected at one end.
3) She lacks a consistent volume.

1) It's a good idea to check proportions as you draw to make sure this expanding or shrinking doesn't happen. Here, the head is a certain size, but you're not checking the other parts of the body against the head, so they are out of proportion with the head.

Immediately I notice that her wrists look about the same thickness as her neck and her palms alone are about the size of her face. Her torso seems a little long for the head and her pelvis seems a little long for her torso. I like to look at my guidesketch before I start working on any lines and just make sure the guides are in proportion.

2) You've got so many strands that you're losing focus on the fact that the strands attract each other and pretty much move as a single mass. (Which is why we use conditioner. Shampooing ionizes the hair and it sticks together really hard. Conditioners even that out so they don't flying apart, but they stay apart enough to slide around and you can sweep it around like in those shampoo commercials.)

Focus on the mass of the hair as one piece, then add some directional detail so that people can tell what the style is after you've got that down. It will look more natural. Right now, it's doesn't look like it's blowing in the wind and it doesn't look like it's following any motion she could be making.

3) Because her ground plane is flat on, she looks every flat. I like to try and make sure that I illustrate that there is not only space between the legs from side to side, but the width of the hips exists. Making a rectangle in perspective on the ground (with the feet as the short sides) helps that a lot. Once you see the space taken up on the ground, you tend to naturally consider the depth of the parts of the body too. (Like the side of her hips.) That's the great thing about us artists. We percieve a lot more than we realize. Sometimes little tricks help you remember to show it.

This last one is just a thought and something I personally like to do. As a cartoonist I almost never set the figure's weight evenly distributed on both feet. (Unless I have a reason to.) It's very immobile and takes away from the motion of the picture. Even for figures and objects that aren't moving, there is motion in the composition. Use the distribution of weight to your advantage to keep static figures and objects moving.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:14 pm

Hmm.. All good points, and I admit things I'd considered. I'm not certain I've the paitence to start the image over at this point, however (which I'd pretty much have to do...)

To the next one, I suppose.

Twilakam

5,800 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:42 pm

Agreed. (As long as you use what you learned in the next, you're moving forward. No point in reworking the same one.)
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games