Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Everything For Everyone Guild (EFE)
Geisha are not Prostitutes!!!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did you think Geisha are prostitues before reading this?
  Yes
  No
  What?
View Results

C h e r r yADE xx

6,850 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:04 am
User ImageUser Image
╔═══════════════════════════╗
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

---[ Can You See Pass My Painted Eyes ? ]

isten o e

After reading Memoirs of a Geisha, I find myself so obsessed with Japanese culture and Geisha now.

It's amazing the difference there is between what they found attractive and alluring there than they do in England or the US.

For one thing, as you know Geisha have white paint over their face, which travels over their necks to the pit of their shoulder blades where their spine starts, and they create a kind of painted arch with it. In the book it said it was so men would pay more attention to the skin underneath.

What pisses me off though about this is that so many people think geisha are prostitutes. You couldn't be more wrong. They are female entertainers. They entertain with a variety of skills which include performing various Japanese arts such as classical music and dance.

Legitimate geisha do not engage in paid sex with clients. Their purpose is to entertain their customer, be it by dancing, reciting verse, playing musical instruments, or engaging in light conversation. Geisha engagements may include flirting with men and playful innuendos; however, clients know that nothing more can be expected. In a social style that is common in Japan, men are amused by the illusion of that which is never to be. They enjoy to be teased.

Geisha have been confused with the Edo period's high-class courtesans known as oiran, from whom they evolved. Like geisha, oiran wore elaborate hairstyles and white makeup, but their obi, basically the sash that is tied around them to keep their kimono together, are tied at the front.

So it is frowned upon for geisha to have sex or to have any boyfriends. However, it is traditional for established geisha to take a danna, or patron. A danna was typically a wealthy man, sometimes married, who could support the very large expenses related to a geisha's traditional training and other costs. They would also gift their Geisha with Kimono's and jewelery. They wouldn't necessarily be in love, but they would in bark on an intimate relationship as a reward for the expenses. You could say that they're mistresses at that point.

I don't think people realize just how delicate it is to be a Geisha. Not only physically, with the ridiculously heavy kimono's and the extremely painful process of have their hair done and walking in awkward shoes, but emotionally, with the never ending competition amongst other girls and the strange relationship they form amongst men.

Though, it still seems like a incredibly glamorous life. for they are after all, a walking piece of art.

[And See The Soul That I Have Inside ?]---

╚═══════════════════════════╝

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:00 pm
In the movie they did auction off her virginity... I would count that as a prostitute BUT you are right. They are not allowed to have sex with their clients.
I did write a paper about 7 years ago about Japanese culture and I did come across an article saying that samurai would have them as lovers but their wives used them to pursue their husbands into their wives will. Do I make myself clear? I think I might have worded that funny.
Japanese culture is so intriguing so I wanna go there and find out the facts by asking instead of reading articles that could have a lot of misleading info. I feel very confused on the whole geisha situation though.

PixieofDestruction

C h e r r yADE xx

6,850 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:13 am
User ImageUser Image
╔═══════════════════════════╗

---[ Can You See Pass My Painted Eyes ? ]

isten o e

Yeah it is all pretty confusing.
You have to read back and double check a lot of the time in the book.

To be honest, us Westerners are pretty ignorant when it comes to other countries culture. We're even pathetic when it comes to learning a new language (in the UK we are anyway), but that might just be because we have crappy teachers.

I should be able to speak French, because my Aunt and Uncle live there, but I was so bad at it in Middle School (partly the teachers fault though) that I got to drop it before I went to High School.

I'm not sure that in the auctioning of her virginity, called mizuage, is actually true in reality. It could be, but I've never heard much about it outside the book. It could well be, on the other hand, because I doubt they would want to share that out really.

Do you mean that the Geisha kinda hired them so the Samurai would do what the wives wanted?

Spoiler alert!
In the book, the main characters sister gets carted off to a rough part of Kyoto and made into a Prostitute. They dress as Geisha, but they tie their obi at the front.

It said that they dress as Geisha because customers who just come from tea party's go there to satisfy their fantasies.

[And See The Soul That I Have Inside ?]---

╚═══════════════════════════╝

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:05 pm
That was a really well-written book
:'3

The guy who wrote it is from my city.
Chattanooga, Tennessee.  

chipkali

Encarton
Crew

Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:38 pm
I've seen the movie before. It really is interesting. Japan has a lot of very very interesting cultural things. I know plenty of people in the US are pretty ignorant but I try not to be. Stereotypes are not a good basis for anything xD  
Everything For Everyone Guild (EFE)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games