Reply Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}
Proverbs/How do you stay engaged?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Casanova Rodeo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:36 am
The Bible is an on and off thing for me. Sometimes I'm so into reading it, and I take so much from it,
but sometimes I just seem to forget about it and leave it aside for weeks, sometimes months.
In an attempt to keep myself in the Bible, I thought that I should read one chapter in Proverbs
every day. It worked for the first couple, then I forgot about it again.

My question to you is: How do you keep yourself engaged in the Word?
Any particular books you go to more often than others?
Do you use devotional plans?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:04 pm
I tend to read it when I need to read it, like following along with someone who has their own Bible and is reading aloud or when I need to look something up for mention in the guild.

Other than that, I read it to satisfy my curiosity whenever that decides to rear its head. smile

Priestley

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:37 pm
I used to read all the time. My Bible was full of highlights and underlinings, but then I switched to a study Bible, and now it's got all sorts of notes in the margins from when my Sunday school class had the pastor teach us like it was seminary. eek I don't delve in as much any more. Right now it's more of a reference than a rulebook.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:56 pm
I'm a bit slacking on my Bible reading as well. sweatdrop Like you, it's kind of on and off for me. Devotional plans are useful because they give you a specific track to follow along with, especially if they're kinda just a checklist. I find it helpful to read certain parts of the Bible alongside other parts of the Bible. A chapter or two from the OT along with a few chapters from the NT. When I did that, I found it interesting how many times something in the NT referenced something I was just reading in the OT. It's kinda fun to make a serious Bible study out of it- grab a journal and just start reading. Read until you find something really interesting, something that really hits you, and start taking notes on the verse and do a little cross-referencing. It definitely makes the Bible more interesting. 3nodding  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:48 am
Honestly, this guild is a big way I keep myself involved in the the Bible, especially while my Bibles are packed away in a box in my boyfriend's apartment while I wait to move into my own...

Another thing that really provokes me spiritually is reading Biblically based memoirs and books. I just finished reading The Year of Living Biblically which really showed me some parts of scripture I haven't read before. I'm aso a big fan of Blue Like Jazz. Next on my list to read is My Jesus Year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:21 pm
i usually pray that God would move me to read more and to enjoy it, cuz sometimes(such as leviticus and number)it can be really boring  

YeLlOwS

Priestley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:02 am
YeLlOwS
i usually pray that God would move me to read more and to enjoy it, cuz sometimes(such as leviticus and number)it can be really boring

Consider that the most important commandment Jesus gave was to love your god and you should be able to love every part of the Bible that was supposedly inspired by it.  
Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games