Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
silly question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

wodewose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:08 pm
York minster , or The Rollright stones?

Owain Glendwr, or Stephen Hawking

Sir Gawaine, or d**k Turpin?

what..or who are your most admired British...Sacred site.....Historical figure.....and folk-hero/mythological figure?

mine are......
Chalice Well, Glastonbury

Cynddylan..( Kan-thallin, aWelsh Warlord of the dark ages)

Puck/Robin goodfellow  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:59 am
To answer the final part of your silly question with a silly reply: Stonehenge, Winston Churchill/Horatio Nelson and...er...Robin Hood. xd  

Knightsedge
Crew

wodewose

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:37 am
Knightsedge
To answer the final part of your silly question with a silly reply: Stonehenge, Winston Churchill/Horatio Nelson and...er...Robin Hood. xd

I read in the Mirror Nelson refused to wear an eyepatch, as his blind eye appeared perfectly normal...the patch is a myth....  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:35 am
wodewose
Knightsedge

I read in the Mirror Nelson refused to wear an eyepatch, as his blind eye appeared perfectly normal...the patch is a myth....

Aye, I read about that as well on Wikipedia.

One musn't forget that famous incident of his - so witty that it acts as a perfect example of classic British wit (and to some extent, insolence):

'On January 1, 1801, he was promoted to Vice Admiral of the Blue (the sixth highest rank). Within a few months he was involved in the Battle of Copenhagen (April 2, 1801), which nullified the fleet of the Danes, in order to break up the armed neutrality of Denmark, Sweden and Russia. During the battle Nelson was ordered to cease the battle by his commander Sir Hyde Parker who believed that the Danish fire was too effective. In a famous incident, however, Nelson claimed he could not see the signal flags conveying the order, pointedly raising his telescope to his blind eye. His action was approved in retrospect, and in May he became commander-in-chief in the Baltic Sea, and was awarded the title of Viscount Nelson by the British crown.'

- Wikipedia source  

Knightsedge
Crew

wodewose

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:16 am
Ahhhhhh, yes

"I see no ships!"
and to quote a(in my opinion)Genius
"Anything that pops the balloon of pomposity is fair game for the Anglo-Saxon."  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:29 am
Aquae Sulis....whether you consider it dedicated to Sul or Minerva...a fabulous place.

And as far as people go? Well, that's not an easy one to choose from. Out of habit, I would have to say probably Queen Victoria.  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

fwikin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:43 pm
eek  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:56 pm
Knightsedge
Robin Hood. xd

Why do you like Robin Hood so much?  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

50ny4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:30 pm
Peter Pan --> or JM Barrie (whoever one sees Peter Pan to be)

Queen Mae (Irish Queen pre-Roman times) --> put her here becasue any queen that wins against a guy is awesome!!

Winston Churchill (enough said)

Queen Elizabeth I (first independent Queen)

Robin Hood (cuz i just love the stories)  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:17 pm
Sacred site... define sacred? Not fully sure what to answer there, but I do love Durham Cathedral, simply as an example of architecture and acoustical engineering. The acoustics there are simply breathtaking.

Historical... Nelson was very cool, and I normally answer him instinctively simply because of the blood connection. He's some form of distant uncle, though I forget the exact relationship. My family keeps a very precise geneological record. Winston Churchill and Benjamin Disraeli are worthy of a mention, because I think the world would be a better place if we still chose our Prime Ministers based on the sharpness of their wit.
"I feel I must apologise for calling half the cabinet asses. Half the cabinet are not asses" - Disraeli.

As for mythological, does Conor Mcleod count? xp  

Days of Empire

Mega Genius

7,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

fwikin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:20 pm
eek yup i am still confused  
Gaian British Guild

Manage Your Items