Submit

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:05 am
In my search for a monthly Bible verse for the upcoming newsletter, I stumbled upon this little gem here:

Proverbs 21:2
All a man's ways seem right to him, but the LORD weighs the heart.

It got me to thinking about actions versus the intentions of those actions. I know it's come up at least twice in this guild the question of swearing, or, related in a way, modesty in clothing, and whether these things (or in this case, immodesty), are sinful in and of themselves. Here, the bit about God weighing one's hearts seems to imply that He is actually judging a person's intent? I don't know. That's somewhat how I interpret it. What do you guys think?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:19 am
It implies that man's judgement of his own actions seems correct to him but that God's judgement of his actions is more accurate and of greater significance.  

Priestley

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:04 pm
Do you think that includes intent?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:40 pm
The verse doesn't mention it.

I do think intent without action is meaningless. The intent behind an action when it's performed is taken into account but I don't think it overrides the action.

It's a bit like the legal definition we have in British law between murder and manslaughter. The first is killing with intent, the second is killing without.

Priestley

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:59 pm
Yeah, we have that same distinction. But then we have involuntary and voluntary manslaughter, which ... confuses me. But whatevs.

Man, this topic died fast. xd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:23 pm
Resurrection!

Is it also a warning against a man's desires motivating his actions?

Priestley

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:17 am
Fushigi na Butterfly
Do you think that includes intent?

I've been trying to think of how to phrase a whole topic around this very idea.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:57 am
I think it means that no matter what it is you do, intently or not, God judges your actions because he already knows whether or not you were going to do or did it intently, if that makes sense. sweatdrop

Georgia Gator

Hilarious Genius

Atreadia Allaani

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:32 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
In my search for a monthly Bible verse for the upcoming newsletter, I stumbled upon this little gem here:

Proverbs 21:2
All a man's ways seem right to him, but the LORD weighs the heart.

It got me to thinking about actions versus the intentions of those actions. I know it's come up at least twice in this guild the question of swearing, or, related in a way, modesty in clothing, and whether these things (or in this case, immodesty), are sinful in and of themselves. Here, the bit about God weighing one's hearts seems to imply that He is actually judging a person's intent? I don't know. That's somewhat how I interpret it. What do you guys think?
I believe it means that God knows our thoughts and our motives even before we ourselves notice them. We always like to think that we are in the right, but God alone knows whether we are or not. We cannot always assume that we are in the right, especially if God is trying to show us we are not.

I believe matters of dress (modest or immodest) and matters of speech are covered in the Bible. How far people want to take that is based upon their understanding of the Scriptures, and the convictions that God lays upon their hearts. We are exhorted to keep our conversation, dress, and manner of actions holy, and without blame.  
Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games