Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
God and Goddess of shadows Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:30 pm
Its about elements. It's relevant. ninja Maybe I shouldn't mention that for my 20th birthday, I asked for the first and third seasons of Avatar. I'm not obsessed, I promise. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:05 pm
Taliah
Its about elements. It's relevant. ninja Maybe I shouldn't mention that for my 20th birthday, I asked for the first and third seasons of Avatar. I'm not obsessed, I promise. sweatdrop

I still haven't watched the entire series at all. sweatdrop  

Recursive Paradox

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:41 pm
Taliah
I love that show.

Shame what Hollywood is doing with the casting though.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:40 pm
TeaDidikai

Oh I agree. I never understood the thought process of casting the wrong ethnicity for characters who are obviously not that ethnic group. I dearly love the show, but the movie would probably ruin it for me. I think they even have a petition site somewhere sending letters to the casting crew about how the fans are upset by their choices, asking them to reconsider or they will not endorse their film.  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:41 pm
Taliah
TeaDidikai

Oh I agree. I never understood the thought process of casting the wrong ethnicity for characters who are obviously not that ethnic group. I dearly love the show, but the movie would probably ruin it for me. I think they even have a petition site somewhere sending letters to the casting crew about how the fans are upset by their choices, asking them to reconsider or they will not endorse their film.
Link  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:12 pm
TeaDidikai
Taliah
TeaDidikai

Link

Ho s**t.
I knew they were making a movie.
I'm not overly surprised or dissappointed that they've changed the races of the heroes. To be honest, I expected it. Holywood is blatantly racist.
Every mick-Irish they put in a movie or every twee Gordie english man or every g~ Romani/y/? etc used to infuriate me. Now, I just don't care any more. I don't go to see movies that have any distinct ethnicities, I pirate them instead. This is an informed, morally balanced decision.
What does surprise, dissappoint and disgust me is that the villain is not caucasion. Change all or change nothing people.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:14 am
CuAnnan

I knew they were making a movie.
I'm not overly surprised or dissappointed that they've changed the races of the heroes. To be honest, I expected it. Holywood is blatantly racist.
Every mick-Irish they put in a movie or every twee Gordie english man or every g~ Romani/y/? etc used to infuriate me. Now, I just don't care any more. I don't go to see movies that have any distinct ethnicities, I pirate them instead. This is an informed, morally balanced decision.
What does surprise, dissappoint and disgust me is that the villain is not caucasion. Change all or change nothing people.
I am actually surprised myself. I thought that the individuals who were able to air the cartoon would have had more say.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:16 am
Seeing that site made it official. I'm going to write a letter. May not do any good, but I'll send it regardless.

The History of Yellowface quicklink helped seal the deal. Made me kinda sick looking at it. And to be honest, I always thought it was stupid seeing some random white person playing an Asian... and even if I liked David Carradine, he still looked goofy in Kung Fu.  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:57 am
Taliah
xd @ Deo

I know it's common to have shadow be an element in RPs out in Barton. So maybe that's where this thought came about.

Used to really make me angry, actually, because I'd rather just have the classical 4 elements and get those basic 4 to branch off into the others like ice, light, lightning, etc. Katara and Aang can do it, why can't they! scream

i have to admit, I'm fond of light/darkness as power differentials. I'm beginning to include honey and venom as elements, though. ninja  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:30 pm
Deoridhe

i have to admit, I'm fond of light/darkness as power differentials. I'm beginning to include honey and venom as elements, though. ninja
My usual take on some of the elemental systems in modern Norse theology is that it's divided up amongst domesticated and wild forces.

Has this been what you have seen?  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:32 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

My usual take on some of the elemental systems in modern Norse theology is that it's divided up amongst domesticated and wild forces.

Hmmm... there is something to divisions between wild and civilized (so to speak) but I would say all the elements I can think of - fire, ice, amber, honey, venom - fall in the arena of wild, not civilized. I'll think further, though. The harnessing of wild forces is a big part of the mindset, though, definitely.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:57 pm
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Hmmm... there is something to divisions between wild and civilized (so to speak) but I would say all the elements I can think of - fire, ice, amber, honey, venom - fall in the arena of wild, not civilized. I'll think further, though. The harnessing of wild forces is a big part of the mindset, though, definitely.
Fair enough, thanks.

I've seen this applied to a division of the Elder Futhark... though the Godhi in question suggested it was pure UPG.  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:13 pm
TeaDidikai
I've seen this applied to a division of the Elder Futhark... though the Godhi in question suggested it was pure UPG.

Actually, I agree with it as a division in the Elder Futhark, oddly enough. I just don't think all the runes are elements... though I suppose they could be. Hmmmm.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:26 am
To my knowledge, the only Shadow Aspect is the conceptual one (and it's very Minor as far as Aspects go), built from the minds of humanity, because dark is a lack of light.

I suppose Void might create Essences that resemble shadow thingies, because entropy tends to gut out light sources by consequence but really, even that's a huge stretch.

So Etherism is lacking in a "shadow element/force"  

Recursive Paradox

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas