Reply Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild
A connection!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Angry Therapist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:58 am
So I was watching The first Contact and The defiant from DS9 had to be abandoned during the borg cube invasion. The captain was Captain Worf. Now how can that be possible when worf AND the defiant are both supposed to be off fighting the dominion. The Defiant was also stationed at the station for the duration of its life. The borg wars were supposed to be over and Lecutous(not sure how to spell it) had already killed captain siskos wife the first time he was made borg. So how can worf be at the station and at the cube battle with the Defiant at the same time?

Someone explain it to me. I'm missing something.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:21 am
Quantum Theory!  

Son Of No Man

3,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Gender Swap 100

ranch_and_potatos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:04 pm
wasnt first contact like an alternate timeline or something. wait that cant be. becuse.... oh damnit i still have to watch the connecting episodes to first contact. i know what you mean i have seen first contact like a thousand times. but i never knew what the beginning was about because i didn't know what episode to watch before the movie.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:39 pm
The movies don't follow the episode canon. Annoying, I know, but it's true. So it's pretty useless to try and reconcile the two.

I'm pretty sure it gets explained in the books, but they aren't technically considered canon either - which really, really bugs me, 'cause there is SO much fodder for movie or episode plotlines in the books. But anyway....  

YoukaiLuvr

4,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:02 pm
Um... You guys are over thinking this.

Worf is Captain as in Commanding officer, not Captain as in having the Rank. Worf would be in command, as the rest were probably needed back at the station. No use risking Captain Sisko, and O'Brien usually has things to attend to at the station anyway. Actually, I'm surprised at the fact that the Defiant has all the Senior Officers of DS9 on board as much as it does in the show.

The Defiant was built to fight the Borg in the first place. Hence, Starfleet would obviously want it there if the Borg were attacking.

Finally, these were not the "Borg Wars" there were never "Borg Wars". Only times when the Borg have tried to attack the Planet earth. Happened in First Contact as well as previously in Best of Both Worlds

I'm seriously trying to comprehend how there is any sort of contradiction here.... Star Trek is full of plot holes, but this isn't one of them. This is just somebody not quite understanding the way the story worked.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:11 pm
The first battle with a Borg Cube was at Wolf 359 when Captain Jean-Luc Picard was captured and assimilated by the Borg and became Locutus. (TNG) It was at this battle Bejamin Sisko lost his wife and grew a deep hatred for Jean-Luc dispite knowing that his actions were not his own. (DS9)

First Contact took place during the middle of DS9 where the fight was against a second Borg Cube at Earth. The Dominion was not at war with the Federation just yet (I may have the stardates wrong) but the station itself would have had plenty of warning to divert the Defiant and Worf to help the Earth defense fleet. After the battle as Worf asks about the fate of his "tough little ship" Picard responds with "Adrift, but salvagable." I'm sure with the powers that may be (writers) would have given plenty of time to get the Defiant ship-shape in time to confront the Dominion.

Also, First Contact is a time-travel incident in which the protagonists are sent to put right what was about to go wrong (forgive the Quantum Leap innuendo). The Enterprise-E followed the Borg Sphere into the past to keep the Borg from preventing First Contact, a pivotal point in Human, and the Federation's history.  

Frogr1701

Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff