Reply Novels/Novellas
KeiRei (Temp name)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Drowse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:00 pm
Okay, so I wrote the beginning of this story. Annnnnd I guess I wanna share it and see whatchoo think. Alrighty, here it is. :'D
-----

Rei stumbled along the beaten village path, her small feet carrying her as fast as they could. She had an empty water pail in one hand and it swung, forgotten, by her side as she raced home. Rei was presently five-and-a-half, a dirty unobtrusive girl who lived outside a similarly dirty village with her parents and older brother Kei. She lived the mostly uneventful and routine life of a farmer’s child with one key exception: She could use ‘magic’. You see, Rei was an ordinary child in almost every sense of the word but one. Her powers were the sole thing that defined her as different. For the whole of her short life, Rei’s extraordinary abilities has been covered up and hidden away from the world. By all appearances, she really was just a normal child. In reality, however, Rei had many strange talents. The extent of her abilities were unknown due to the fact that she could not yet control her own powers, but it had been discovered that, among other things, she could move objects without even touching them. Despite her instability and frequent outbursts within her home, Rei had yet to accidentally have a magical outburst in public. Well, that is, until this very moment.

Rei had been running down to the communal town well, set in the village proper, when the unfortunate event occurred. She had been trying desperately to hook her pail into the pulley which would lower her bucket and fill it with fresh, cool water. It was mid-fall, harvest time, and her family was therefore quite busy on the farm. It was because of this that they had sent the small Rei to the village to fetch water assuming, quite incorrectly, that she would be tall enough to reach the pulley. So now, not wanting to disappoint her busy family, Rei was stuck groping desperately for the towering pulley. Her young muscles cried shrill protest as they stretched farther than ever before, but Rei pulled a strong determination from her own personal well of willpower and continued to reach relentlessly upwards. However, she found that the more her muscles ached, the more frustration built up inside her to slowly eat away at that determination. Just as she was about to give up her attempt, a loud splashing broke the sleepy silence of the rural autumn morning. Rei dropped down from her tippy-toes and opened the eyes that had been clenched in concentration a moment before. Her jaw fell open in shock. Suspended before her, a wobbly and almost ghostly sphere of clear well water was hovering in the air. Before Rei could really register what she was seeing, the sphere collapsed into a meaningless mass of water and fell heavily to the dry earth. She had enough time to think blankly, “Did I do that…?” before a flurry of shocked whispers suddenly erupted from behind her, creating a sound vaguely reminiscent of a hornet’s furious buzzing. Rei spun around only to find half of the village staring at her in disgusted shock, as if she were a monster. She flushed bright pink and, flustered, recalled what her mother had told her about her abilities. “If you ever have an outburst in public… Run, honey. Run home.”

Rei was an obedient child and took comfort in following orders, especially in unfamiliar situations. Now, then, Rei was overwhelmingly relieved to run away from the increasingly hostile crowd of villagers and towards her small home. As she neared the small, beaten up shack she called home, Rei began to call out for her family. “Ma, Pa!” Her father, who was harvesting corn in their field at the time, threw down his sickle at the sound of his little girl’s troubled cries and ran out to the main path. Rei’s father, a work hardened and fiercely protective man, took Rei into his arms without hesitation. In the distance a mob of villagers could be seen stomping their way up the path toward their small house. He did not bother to ask his daughter what had happened. The whole family had long anticipated such complications over Rei’s powers. Kissing his daughter lightly on the forehead, Rei’s father placed Rei in the shack with her mother and brother. “It’s finally that time…” He smiled apologetically at his wife and left the shack, closing the door behind him. Inside the shack, Rei’s mother began to silently cry while she set out to prepare for the mob. Grunting, she pushed a heavy oak table in front of the only door before ushering her two children into a corner. Outside, Rei’s father had drawn the sword he always kept with him in case of such an attack. The sword had been passed down for several generations and was therefore worn but due to meticulous care was undoubtedly sharp. The mob slowed as it drew near the shack and from inside Rei could hear the mob’s shouts of rage as they saw her father with his sword. One man could be heard yelling, “How dare he protect the witch!?” before his voice was swallowed by the crowd’s collective roar.

-----

A bit rough, I know. Any comments and critisicms are greatly appreciated! :3  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:42 pm
I feel like there could be a lot more description here. For example, instead of saying she was dirty or the town was dirty, describe the dirt on her feet or under her fingernails, or stains on her clothing, or her messy hair. Describe the dust on the houses and on the people.

The opening paragraph consists of a lot of telling, and almost no showing. Rather than explaining all of that information, you could write a scene where all that information is found out through things that the characters say or do.

In the parts where you are actually following the character in action avoid saying things like "she was" or "she had a" For example:

Quote:
She had an empty water pail in one hand and it swung...

Instead try something like { Her water pail swung } It cuts out a lot of extra language which only serves to slow down and distract the reader.  

Strali

Drowse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:42 pm
Yea, I definitely felt like something was awkward.
You hit the nail on the head. :3

Thanks!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:12 am
I love your use of vocabulary, it gives me a clear image in my head, but I agree with strali at the same time. You were talking about Rei a little too much, which is okay when you describe herself, but not when you describe what is around or on her.

I also didn't like that part where you basically told us what was going to happen :

"Despite her instability and frequent outbursts within her home, Rei had yet to accidentally have a magical outburst in public. Well, that is, until this very moment."

To me it was like: "Oh, she's going to be outed on her ability? I know exactly what's going to happen now. People are going to get angry, I bet." I would suggest cutting that part out all together unless somebody has any idea of how to hint that better.  

Octane Diesel

Dangerous Prophet

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Novels/Novellas

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items