Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
neopagan. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:36 pm
Illiezeulette

But religious witchcraft masquerading as Wicca and BTW are just so different to me. Why call them the same thing?
Are they actually trying to be BTW?

Most folks include the same popular mythology that Gardner lifted.

Quote:
Perhaps I should find a more "conservative" group to study under. I don't know.
Could be a good idea.

So here's a question. If members of this forum had presented a more even view of the different understandings of the word from the beginning- do you think it would have changed your perception of your coven's position?

For example, if instead of hearing one High Priestess repeat the same thing over and over until everyone else was repeating it without question based on her personal understandings within the context of her coven- if your High Priest had a voice on the forum and by verification of lineage was given the same respect that others are- and allowed to present their understandings and positions as members of the cult with an equal voice- would you find yourself as biased?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:02 pm
Illiezeulette

Maybe this isn't a good parallel or metaphor, but choosing to adapt the n-word and change its meaning to encompass a positive meaning doesn't make sense to me. Its history impacts the way I look at it, and while it's nice to see bad things change into good things, why can't we just drop it all together or use a different word? If I called you a G~ but didn't mean it as a slur, but rather that you are super epically awesome beyond all reason, would that be okay?
I agree, it isn't a good metaphor- but that has more to do with the history of the word Wica than with the analogy itself.

Quote:
Even with excerpts like the Legend of the Descent of the Goddess or the Charge of the Goddess, the two spiritual paths are still so different. BTW worships specific deities, has specific practices, has specific mysteries. If you're not even worshipping the same gods, doing the same things, or experiencing certain mysteries, why call them the same thing?
Because in the beginning, the guy who coined the word would apply it in ways that aren't as popular now.

Historically, Gardner claimed that some of his priestesses were initiated by Old Witch Families. Alex Saunders claimed that he had been initiated by his Grandmother.

The Wica changed the application of the word from the inside, and different groups reacted to one another.
Quote:

Outer Court doesn't have the whole of the BTW lore. When so much is secret, how can anyone accurately mimic BTW without being initiated?
Accuracy in form? Research. Accuracy in intention? It's not as easy because of the Mysteries.

Quote:
When the practices and beliefs are distorted, it becomes something else. Why call two different things the same thing? BTWs coined the idea of calling their religion Wicca,
Ultramarine Violet said that Gardner wouldn't have been considered Wiccan by Wiccan standards.

There's a bit of truth to that, and you hit upon some of the things that have changed because people divorced Gardner's personal opinion from the nature of the theology.

Quote:
why are other people trying to attribute non-Wiccan things to an already established religion? It doesn't make sense to me. Wiccans "borrowed" ideas from Thelema and others, but that doesn't make them Thelemites.
But Thelema was coined to addressed a formal theological tradition from it's inception. Gardner had a handful of practices, many of which he changed and added to as his co-authors commented upon what he had brought to them.  

TeaDidikai

Brass Bell Doll

3,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:00 am
Since the Hari Krishna solicit people in public places, there is a good chance you would meet a warm welcome from them.  
PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff