9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Yes
90%
 90%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 22

Jedit Ojanen of Efrava

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:02 am
Dude I can't wait for your new story! But I will be a good little boy and wait patiently. For a while.... a... short while... I am still waiting...  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:10 pm
Fools, all of us

“It sure sucks being dead.”

It was unknown to Edgar Blaine how many times he had spoken those words, or at the very least variations of the phrase over the past couple years. The young couple who were renting his old apartment were currently out. It's their anniversary today. No doubt he's taking her to some fancy restaurant so that he can get real lucky tonight. I'll be here of course, not that it matters much. You can't even enjoy watching sex when you're dead. Thought Edgar, irritated, before turning his attention to the people below.

It really was an ugly apartment, by Edgar's standards. The beams separating the wall into sections had always bugged him. Not only that, but he had the worst neighbors, a shame they hadn't moved out yet. Such as the couple directly below him. The man partied all the time. Never when his wife was home of course. She still hadn't caught him cheating yet. That might be the first interesting thing for Edgar to listen to since he died.

She was home right now though, he could tell both from the lack of activity, and the sound of SuperTramp rising through the floor. She loved older music, and Edgar had acquired a taste for it. He even was able to learn a few of the songs before he died. Fool's Overture was the song playing, Not a bad one, thought Edgar, as the words began drifting up to his dead ears.

History recalls, how great the fall can be. While everyone was sleeping, the boats put out to sea.

He had read the song was about World War II, after which the lyrics had made much more sense to Edgar. However, he'd always felt a much more personal connection to it. He smiled, glancing to where his own radio had once been. The pleasures us ghosts have. Such an odd thing. For there were other ghosts around, though Edgar hasn't met too many of them. Most were like him, absolutely miserable.

Borne on the wings of time. It seemed the answers, were so easy to find!

He heard a door slam down below. Her husband was home, calling out to his wife. Probably putting on a great big smile and saying a false “I love you.” while sharing a kiss. With the very lips which had most likely been shared with a different woman the night before. The man was quite loud when it was someone other than his wife in bed. If they even slept together anymore.

“Too late! The prophets cry. The island's sinking, let's take to the sky!

Edgar glanced at the mahogany table in the center of the room and smirked. The couple, Brenda and Eddie, would be home soon. He doubted they would wait until they reached their bedroom to get down to business. More than likely they would do it on the table, like last year. Ironically, it was the table Edgar had shot himself on. The landlord had never replaced the furniture. Instead he just cleaned it up and sold it as if it was brand new. Edgar had always known the man was a cheap b*****d. He imagined most landlords were.

Called the man a fool, stripped him of his pride. Oh, everyone was laughing, up until the day he died.

It had been his wife leaving him that finally drove Edgar over the edge. Work had been stressful, as every lawyer could attest to, and money was beginning to get tight. The firm he worked for was a mediocre one, and couldn't afford to pay him an average salary. Which was fine by Edgar at first, most lawyers started out wanting to help, crusade for good, not greed. The greed didn't come until later. Truth be told I probably deserved it. If I was a woman I probably wouldn't have put up with the drinking and long hours either. He thought, giving a grim chuckle.

And though the wound went deep. Still he's calling us out of our sleep!

However, that life was much better than his current utterly boring existence. He'd found out the hard way that his emotional scale had shortened considerably. Now he could only get bits of happiness and pleasure at a time. He'd never feel great again. Hell, I'll never even be able to taste food again. For an eternity maybe. He sighed at the thought, glancing over to the kitchen. There was still no door installed there. He'd always wanted one, the oven heated up the rest of the apartment to irritating levels. I suppose I'll never have to feel that again. There's a small bright side at least.

My friends, we're not alone. He waits in silence, to lead us all home!

The music drew his thoughts back to the couple downstairs. He hoped the husband was caught for another reason. Perhaps the woman would be so devastated she too would kill herself. Ethan might then have a miserable companion close by. They would be able to share their woes and complain all the time. It would be the highlight of his afterlife. This sad, boring excuse for one. I really hope this doesn't last forever.

So you tell me that you find it hard to grow? Well I know, I know, I know...

Edgar envied the people below, shuffling monotonously to their boring jobs, under the rising morning sun. They could enjoy themselves, had the freedom, the ability to do so. Yet most of them chose misery. It was easier, required no effort on their part. A simple bullet to the head would end everything when it became to much after all, wouldn't it? They all disgusted him just as his past self did. They had no idea what pure Hell that such a thing would lead to. For only people who committed suicide became ghosts, he had gathered from the others.

And you tell me that you've many seeds to sow. Well I know! I know! I know!

People are fragile. He thought, as he heard feet quickly moving up the staircase outside of the apartment. One event, discovery, fight, anything could tear those two apart. Two who vowed to love each other until death parts them. I suppose it's true, only the strong, and the lucky truly survive. The door slammed open once it was unlocked, and Edgar turned his attention to the window. Watching the people below him once more. Trying to pick out which of them would meet the same fate as him.

It's a shame that I can't kill myself now.

Word count: 1109  

Kelethor
Crew

Jedit Ojanen of Efrava

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:00 pm
Wow... that was like... Uber depressing. Extremly good though. Kinda fits the mood I am in right now... just got demoted at work... Oh well. I really liked it and it showed me life could be worse... or rather more so death could be worse. Good job!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:27 pm
Wow, I haven't checked back here in a while. Great captain I am...

Anyway! So Kel, are you going to swap your original entry for this new one? 'Cause I can only let you officially enter 1. As lonely as that number is, that's the rule.

I think I'm going to set a deadline now, I'm pretty sick of just waiting for entries. I'll send out a guild announcement.  

Stelle Cadenti
Captain

Prophet

Kelethor
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:38 pm
Yeah, I already removed the other entry earlier.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:23 pm
Are these the only entries I'm going to get?

Well, this contest is closing tomorrow anyway. To any last minute entrants, as long as you post it sometime on Friday, your time, my time, don't care, I'll count you in. I'll be starting the judging on Saturday.  

Stelle Cadenti
Captain

Prophet

Jedit Ojanen of Efrava

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:57 am
I am so excited!!! And I cant wait for the next contest! who will be the winner???  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:53 pm
And now I'm stuck deciding whether my first one was actually better than my second.

Hmm..  

Kelethor
Crew

Stelle Cadenti
Captain

Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:00 am
Well, if it helps Kel, it's too late to change now, so you should just accept it. 3nodding

I just realized, there were only 5 entries. That means that everybody get something!

Oh, and

CONTEST CLOSED FOR JUDGING

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:48 am
so won?  

Jedit Ojanen of Efrava

Evermore Reality

4,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:12 pm
Yay! Good luck to everyone, your stories were all amazing!

((Sorry only five people entered though... I should have used my super god-mod persuasion powers on them. xd )  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:54 pm
-Peers in and reads just for the fun of it-
Sadly, I came in too late. Would have liked to try my hand at this contest. I shall just observe.  

Starstigress

1,900 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Stelle Cadenti
Captain

Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:14 pm
Sorry guys, I've been putting this off. I'll try to finish this tonight, so hopefully you'll all have a trade from me before tomorrow!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:34 pm
RESULTS ARE POSTED ON THE FIRST PAGE  

Stelle Cadenti
Captain

Prophet

Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items