Reply Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild
Star Trek: The Animated Series

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:22 pm
Anyone else own this? Have good things to say about it?

I, for one, enjoy the Cat Girl.......

Eh, actually, it's great.... Not having to deal with special effects costs really allowed them to do things they couldn't do in the original series.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:59 pm
yeah, it's cool, but I wish that the characters in the animated series looked more like the the ones in the original.  

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:03 pm
SuperCrazyChocolate
yeah, it's cool, but I wish that the characters in the animated series looked more like the the ones in the original.

I thought it was pretty spot on, considering the fact they were working with a Color Blind production designer......  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:13 pm
Matt Pniewski
SuperCrazyChocolate

I thought it was pretty spot on, considering the fact they were working with a Color Blind production designer......

yeah, but I perfer characters in a cartoon to have more detail in their designs.  

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

ranch_and_potatos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:21 pm
eek theres an original series omg  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:36 pm
SuperCrazyChocolate
Matt Pniewski
SuperCrazyChocolate

yeah, but I perfer characters in a cartoon to have more detail in their designs.

Oh, I agree..... The cheapness was very typical of 1970s cartoons. Poor animation, Poor production quality, ect.... Actually, it was much better than many cartoons of the time, but that's not saying much.

It was a time when there was definitely a surplus of animation. Definite a rise in the Saturday Morning cartoons. EVERYTHING got a cartoon in the seventies and eighties, and everything was just plain cheap.

Ever see "Gilligan's Planet" ?  

Matt Pniewski

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:54 pm
Matt Pniewski
SuperCrazyChocolate
Matt Pniewski
SuperCrazyChocolate

Oh, I agree..... The cheapness was very typical of 1970s cartoons. Poor animation, Poor production quality, ect.... Actually, it was much better than many cartoons of the time, but that's not saying much.

It was a time when there was definitely a surplus of animation. Definite a rise in the Saturday Morning cartoons. EVERYTHING got a cartoon in the seventies and eighties, and everything was just plain cheap.

Yeah, I've also noticed that cartoons are now done just by CG.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:06 pm
SuperCrazyChocolate
Matt Pniewski
SuperCrazyChocolate
Matt Pniewski
SuperCrazyChocolate

Don't get me started on modern cartoons... When it was all hand drawn, they had an excuse to be cheap. Now, they can do alot really really cheap, and all it takes to make good animation is a bit more work.... I kid you not, Family Guy had a joke about Alan Rickman's voicemail....

It was one minute staring at a phone, with a voice over.

I'm an animator.... Stop Motion though.

In the past, to be cheap they would simply reuse loops over and over again. It was tedious, and noticeable, but at least it was animation.

Star Trek, I thought, mad the most of what they had. They had several looks that were used in every episode, with different dialog, and backgrounds, and actually didn't do too bad. Run cycles still sucked, but they did in Scooby Doo as well, and that show was all running.  

Matt Pniewski

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:58 pm
Matt Pniewski
SuperCrazyChocolate
Matt Pniewski
SuperCrazyChocolate
Matt Pniewski
SuperCrazyChocolate

Don't get me started on modern cartoons... When it was all hand drawn, they had an excuse to be cheap. Now, they can do alot really really cheap, and all it takes to make good animation is a bit more work.... I kid you not, Family Guy had a joke about Alan Rickman's voicemail....

In the past, to be cheap they would simply reuse loops over and over again. It was tedious, and noticeable, but at least it was animation.

Star Trek, I thought, mad the most of what they had. They had several looks that were used in every episode, with different dialog, and backgrounds, and actually didn't do too bad. Run cycles still sucked, but they did in Scooby Doo as well, and that show was all running.

Yeah that's true, I wonder what The Animated Series would look like if they did it with more of our modern cartoon look?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:05 pm
SuperCrazyChocolate
Matt Pniewski
SuperCrazyChocolate
Matt Pniewski
SuperCrazyChocolate

Yeah that's true, I wonder what The Animated Series would look like if they did it with more of our modern cartoon look?

Well, I don't know what our modern cartoon look is at this point. Though I've seen fan art by friends that could work for good production design photos.

Star Trek, not being that action heavy, can be animated in something simple like "Anime Studio." I'd like to see more modern designs, but the same sort of washed out colors, mostly because they gave the Enterprise this "Lived in feel" that I liked. I wouldn't go so far with that, because I like color... But a bit of grain, flatten the image just a bit....  

Matt Pniewski

Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff